Meet The Mechanic

Kim Imani Mae.

A 20 year old girl, with a troubled past and a big secret to hide.

But, let's not start with the depressing stuff.

Kim's a mechanic for Prema's F2 team. She takes care of the cars and maintains them.

Her favourite part about being a mechanic is the post race analysis when she gets to overview the damage the cars have taken and how she can improve them. She's not very tall, 5'4" at most with short, chocolate brown hair, brown eyes, and a dazzling smile.

And though her life has been pretty stable for the past year, things were about to take a surprising turn.
~~~~~~

She walked into the building lobby deep in thought, one hand in her pocket, the other clutching a cup of hot chocolate.

She received and returned greetings from her colleagues, and continued towards her destination.

She had been summoned by her team principal, René Rosin.

She'd always stayed inside the lines and worked as hard as she could. But, there was always a chance it wasn't enough.

~~~~~~

She walked to his office, still deep in thought, and stopped at the door. Gathering herself, she knocked.

"Come in!" A voice said.

She walked in.

"Ahh, Kim! Good morning, dear!"

A small smile found its way to her face. "Good morning, Monsieur Rosin. You called for me?" She had no accent and spoke little french. The greeting was simply out of respect.

"Yes, my dear. I have received a very curious call from my superiors." The atmosphere in the room changed. All traces of humour being replaced by sudden seriousness.

"Please take a seat, this isn't the easiest thing to explain."

She obliged, moving forward, she pulled a chair, and sat opposite her principal. Her hand still clutching her hot chocolate.

"Is there a problem, sir?"

"Of sorts, dear. See, I'm not really sure how to go about this, but Ferrari wants to recruit you."

"Not as a mechanic. But a driver. They're calling it the Ferrari Project, and are paying good money for you."

Her expression changed, from curious to confused.

"I beg your pardon sir? I'm extremely confused here. I'm a mechanic. The closest I've ever been to driving a race car is the test I was asked to do the other day. I'm no racer, sir! I'm barely a test driver!"

"I understand that, my girl, and that's what I told them, but we're in need of the money. I'm really sorry about this."

Realisation crossed her face. So, that's what this is about!

She looked down, not sure what to say.

He took this as a sign to continue. Placing an envelope on the table in front of her he said, "I've already approved it. There's not much we can do now. I'm sorry."

She raised her head and met his gaze, challenging him. "I'm sorry too."

She stood up, grabbed the envelope and walked out. The beginnings of a headache taking root.

She needed time to think things over, to read the contents of the envelope.

She exited the building and made her way towards her car, almost getting there before she was stopped by a middle aged man clad in a suit branded none other than the prancing horse.

"Kim Imani?" He asked.