6. All for a Promise

Start from the beginning

    "I thought you were glad when you thought she wasn't coming," Colette chuckled.

    Wynter glowered at her, still pacing. "She wrote a letter explaining why she was late. Why is she late tonight?" Colette didn't reply. "She promised." His voice dropped to a whisper. "She promised she would come."

    Why had he let himself hope that was true? Why had he let himself care? So what if she didn't come? That's what he wanted. He wanted her to move on. He wanted her to stop coming. It was better if he was alone. It was better if she forgot about him.

    "She promised," Wynter whispered again. "She promised."

    Her promise had been the only thing that soothed him following his nightmare. He'd fallen asleep with the letter in his hand, her words repeating themselves over and over in his head.

I'll be there the day after tomorrow. I promise. I haven't given up on you, Wyn.

    He rubbed his arms, then grimaced. He'd forgotten that he'd scratched them raw after his nightmare. Thankfully the long sleeves of his tunic hid the marks from Colette. She would insist on treating them for him otherwise, and they didn't need treatment. They would be gone within a day or two.

    Wynter glanced out the window again, then sighed. She isn't coming, he thought. He swallowed his disappointment and headed towards the door. "You can go home at any time, Colette. I'm going to do some reading."

    "I'll let you know when Ellie arrives." Wynter hurried away and barricaded himself in the library.

❅•~❅~•❅

    The bedroom door creaked open, waking Elodie. She stiffened with dread. Tiny footsteps approached her bedside. Elodie blinked, realizing how dark it had become. Mitsi's pale head appeared beside her.

    "Mama doesn't put me to bed right," she whispered.

    "Oh." Elodie sat up weakly. She ignored the gnawing hunger in her stomach and the pain in her back. "Give me a minute and I'll come. I'm sorry. I must've fallen asleep."

    "You were asleep all day," Mitsi explained. "Daddy called you a lazy slut."

    "Shush." Elodie touched a finger to Mitsi's lips. "Don't say that last word. It's very mean."

    "I'm sorry." Mitsi crawled onto the bed. She leaned against Elodie, hugging her arm. "Do you hurt really badly? Micah said you were bleeding. Mina thought Daddy killed you."

    "I'm sore, but it's all right." That was an understatement. She felt awful. "And I'm not dead. Don't worry."

    "Why does Daddy not like Wynter? I think he's nice. He used to make things for us." Mitsi pursed her lips. "He seems sad."

    "He is sad," Elodie replied. "Sad and lonely and kind. I don't know why your father doesn't like him."

    "Do your letters make him happy?"

    "I don't know. I hope so."

    "Are you in love? Mina's books say that sometimes people break rules because they're in love. You break Daddy's rules for Wynter."

    "You shouldn't be reading Mina's books," Elodie laughed. "And...we're not in love. I care for him, but it's not like that." At least, she didn't think it was like that. "I don't know him well enough to love him." Elodie sighed. "It's his birthday soon. I was going to give him a gift when I visited him today. I promised I would visit."

    "You never break your promises." Mitsi met Elodie's gaze. "Daddy isn't here. He said he was staying out late tonight." Elodie's eyes widened. "You could go now."

    "You should go back to bed," Elodie murmured.

    Mitsi grabbed Elodie's hand and tugged her off the bed. It was an effort to hide just how much pain she was in as Mitsi led her across the hall and into her own bedroom. Mina was snoring. Mitsi tugged Bongo off her bed and offered it to Elodie.

    "Will you give this to Wynter?" She asked quietly. "Tell him it's from me, for his birthday."

    "But Bongo is your favorite toy. You'll miss him," Elodie protested. She shook her head. "I can't take him, Mitsi."

    "Please?" Mitsi batted her long eyelashes. "Bongo makes me feel better when I'm sad. He keeps me company when I'm lonely. If Bongo helps me, maybe he'll help Wynter."

    Elodie smiled softly. "You don't even know Wynter. You really want to give him Bongo?"

    Mitsi nodded. "He was nice to us. You care about him, so I care about him too."

    "All right. If you're certain."

    "I am." Mitsi pushed Bongo into her arms. "But I'll still be able to see Bongo every once in a while, right?"

    "Of course. I'll make sure Wynter takes good care of him."

    Mitsi patted Bongo's head and kissed him. "Be good, Bongo. You're going to live with our future High Lord."

    "You should go to bed now." Elodie tucked the covers over Mitsi as she laid down. She kissed her cousin's forehead and left the room.

❅•~❅~•❅

    Snow was falling as Elodie made her way through dimly lit streets. The taverns were still bustling with activity and she was careful to avoid them. Ebner was probably at one of them, unless he'd already made his way to a brothel, as was his custom. Elodie pulled her cloak tighter around herself and stumbled on.

    Hunger and pain weighed heavily on her, and it was a struggle to keep her eyes open. Still, Elodie kept walking. She had promised. She never broke her promises. She promised. She was so tired. Her back stung fiercely. Wind whipped her cloak aside and cold settled into her very bones. Elodie shivered and gritted her teeth to keep them from chattering.

    The grounds of Wynter's townhouse appeared up ahead. The guards at the front gates cast worried glances at her as they let her through. Elodie ignored them and made her way up the slick path. Her feet threatened to slide out from beneath her. Somehow, she managed to keep her balance.

    When she reached the front doors, she was surprised to see only Lev at his post. "Where's Cyrus?" Elodie called.

    "Late or somethin..." Lev drawled. He took a swig from the dark bottle in his hand.

    "By the Cauldron, are you drunk?" Elodie scoffed. She sat down on the snowy railing with a sigh.

    "No," Lev answered. "Getting there, though. Want some?" He offered the bottle to her.

    Elodie grimaced. "No. I told you I don't drink."

    "Oh, come on. One drink won't hurt you." His gaze fell as her cloak billowed in the wind. "What's that?" He pointed to Bongo. He rolled his eyes a moment later. "Don't tell me it's for Wynter. Stop wasting your time with him, Princess. You could do so much better."

    "Don't call me that," Elodie answered. Lev leaned closer, a lazy smile on his lips. Elodie gasped as he snatched Bongo from her.

    "Come and get it, Princess. It'll cost you a kiss," he laughed.

    Elodie jumped off the railing. "Give it back, Lev. And cut it out. I don't like your behavior."

    "Why? Because I don't ignore you like Wynter does?" He held Bongo out of reach as Elodie tried to grab it. She couldn't lift her arms over her head. It hurt too much. "Why don't you let him go, Elodie? He's never going to change. I'm right here. Untarnished and noticeably interested in you. Forget about that bastard."

    Elodie slapped him. Lev dropped his bottle in shock. "How dare you speak about Wynter that way," she growled.

    Lev lifted a hand to his cheek. "You hit me. You bitch, you hit me!" He threw Bongo to the ground and lunged. Elodie shrieked as he grabbed her by the arm and hauled her closer.