88

2 years later

It seems cruel sometimes, the way that the universe puts two people together, only to then tear them apart. Yet, between the two of them, something beautiful and amazing can come from them. 

Every time I see his smiling eyes and dimpled cheeks, all I can think about is giving him the world. He was standing on the car seat and looking down at the seat out of curiosity while doing his little happy dance. 

"Aureliano, cálmate," I said as I went to the back to put him into his car seat as he just laughed. That laugh was just like his name's meaning-golden.

"I got his bag."

I clicked in the seatbelt and pulled out and turned around and smiled as he handed me the bag in my hand and kissed me on my lips and placed the bag on the floor of the car. He soon reached over and kissed Aureliano's cheek and soon pulled back and closed the door.

"Very soon you gonna have to be packing two bags," I chuckled as he smiled and kissed my forehead.

"I am looking forward to it."

Crazy how two years changed! Before he was going to arrest me and now we were engaged and expecting another child. This was what a family should be like. Even though I had my baby with Oscar, he was willing to come in and act as a father figure to my child so we can become a family.

A family. In this instance, I am defining family as two parents and the child(ren). I want a man that will treat me right and show my child how a wife is supposed to be treated. I want to teach my child what a healthy relationship is because I want the same for my child. 

I want my child to grow up in a home where both parents love and respect each other. I want my child to want to have a love like ours. If I had stayed in Freeridge, what would have my family dynamic been? No need to even reminisce on it.

"Angelica is going to go crazy over him," Nate said. Gazing at him, he sent me a toothy smile, before pulling me in for an embrace.

Wrapping his arms tightly around my waist, he eliminated any remaining space between us. Lacing my arms around his shoulders, slightly nuzzled my neck invading my senses. Standing there, wrapped in him, it was as if it was us in the universe. The warmth he radiated causing me to let out a content sigh as a sense of security washed over me. Gazing at him intently, butterflies erupted in my stomach while a giddiness feeling enveloped me.

"You think we can cancel-." He whispered into my hair.

"Blanco, stop thinking below and vamos!" I said while playfully pushing him while walking to the passenger side of our G550 SUV as he laughed and entered the driver's side.

In all of us, there is the same intrinsic, baseline desire to feel wanted, protected, held without question. But, in truth, this is what makes us human. Our primal desire to be loved and accepted. What is love if not the core reason we push through our days, and a large percentage of that stems from our longing for family and community. This was my family now.