19; The morning after

Calum's POV

I wake up to the smell of scramble eggs and pancakes,I open my eyes and the LA sunshine shines through the windows and I realise that I'm not at the penthouse. I quickly got up and see Shay in the kitchen.

"Oh good morning, sleepyhead", she said, while flipping a pancake in a pan.

I run my fingers through my hair, "er, did I sleep here last night?"

Shay looks at me as if I just asked a stupid question, and yes it is a stupid question. I just got up, so my mind is not working properly right now.

"You know what, stupid question", I stretch my arms like I always do every morning. I sit at the kitchen table and enjoying the scent of breakfast which I rarely have. 

"I'm making pancakes and eggs, if that's okay with you? It's nothing fancy", she said.

I scoff,"are you kidding me? This is fancy breakfast, I eat cereal everyday for breakfast so yeah, I prefer this any day. Is Tommy up?"

She shakes her head, "not yet. He'll wake up soon enough, it's only 7".

I nod my head, understanding her words. "So, why was I really out last night? Did you try waking me up?".

Shay's hands become stiff all of the sudden, before I could ask whether she's okay, she turns to me with a huge awkward smile. "Yeah, I tried but you were like, really dozed off. You tried to get up though, but you end up stepping on one of Tommy's toys, you barely open your eyes so I just let you crash". 

Okay, something must be up cause Shay is not one of the girls who say like,really , like a cheerleader. 

"Are you okay, Shay?", I walk over to where she's standing and looking at her with concern.

She turns her head and our eyes meet and I swear, she has the most mesmerizing eyes I have ever seen. She really does. Our eyes gaze into each other for a few seconds and she walk past by me with a pan in her hand and put the eggs on plates.

"Shay, you know you can talk to me", I told her.

She chuckles, "there' nothing to talk about, Calum. I'm just making breakfast here".

It's obvious that she has something in her mind but she's not letting me in. I care her too much just to drop it and act like nothing happen but I have to, cause I respect her too. 

"Okay, but you know you can open up to me", I told her and she just nods her head.

"How was class last night? Did you raise your hand?", I teased her and she just chuckles, "yeah, I did. Thank God I didn't humiliate myself". 

"You never humiliate yourself", I said and she laughs, "yeah, right".

"Yeah, right! I mean, if you ever got humiliated, there's always one person you impressed", I said remembering the time we were in high school and she always caught my attention with her opinions in class. I never listen to them, but I was impressed on how serious she was in school. 

"I did impress someone, and he asked me out last night", she smiles but then pull back the smile as if she doesn't deserve that. I feel like a rock has thrown to my back, but I agreed on being just friends with Shay, and that is what I shall do. 

"T-that's great! Who is he?", I ask and now she's smiling. "A classmate". 

I hold her hand, "come on, Shay. It's okay to feel flattered, I'm happy for you". 

She pulls her hand away, "thanks, Calum".

"So, was that on your  mind? Is it because of this classmate?", her hands went stiff again but then she softens it after a few seconds. What's going on?