09; Taking the risk

Shay's POV

"Ugh, can he stop?", I said loudly while I'm checking the books on the shelf. 

"Who's calling you,hotshot?", Ruby shot me a look from behind the Border's counter. 

"No one", I lie. 

"Is something a matter, babe?", she counts the 50 dollar notes. 

"No no. Anyways, can you babysit Tommy this Wednesday. It's my first class", I said with a wide grin.

"I can see you're really excited for going back to school", she chuckles. 

"Yeah! Don't you know how long I've waited for this. It's not Princeton, but it's something. I'm grabbing every chance I get", I rearrange the books and put one of my favourite sons books on the best-selling shelf. 

"Shay, that doesn't go there", she corrected me but I can't help it. When a good book is at the back shelf, it's just not fair. 

"It's a good book, Ruby. Tommy loves it! Dragons are seriously his thing now. Besides, no one will notice anyway", I shrug my shoulders and Ruby rolls her eyes. "You're the boss".

"Yes, I am", I point to myself proudly and look at my watch which is nearly 5 in the evening. I rush into my office to get my bag and walk fast towards the door. 

"I gotta go, need to pick up Tommy and don't forget about Wednesdays. Don't go on any dates and close up the store okay? Good job today, Ruby. Bye!", I said while pushing the door to get to my car. I always encourage my staff so that they feel appreciated and do their job well the next day, and of course you could ask them favours like babysitting your son while you attend night classes at UCLA.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Mummy!", Tommy climb onto his car seat and I buckle him right in. I kissed him on that squishy baby cheek, "hey, handsome. How was your day?"

He let out a heavy sigh and mess up his hair, another trait he catches from his father. Why does Tommy has to be alot like Calum? Speaking of that, my phone rings again with his number on the screen. I just let it ring in my bag but then Tommy take the phone out of my bag pocket and hands it to me. 

"Mummy, someone is calling you and this person doesn't have a name?", I chuckle at his confusion because he thought that when a person calls you, their name will automatically appear in the screen. He doesn't know the detail that the number has to be saved first. 

"It's alright, baby. Just let it ring", I said and he obediently put it back in the bag. 

"Mummy, I'm feeling like having ice-cream", he looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed. Another trait he got from Calum, those perfectly sculpted eyebrows. And now he is asking for ice-cream, is he purposely being a little Calum right now? Why am I thinking of Calum anyways? I got to let him out of my system. 

"Not today, baby. Next time alright?"

"Why not? I ate all my broccoli last night", he insisted on having ice-cream and I can't stand when he does that puppy face of his but I gotta be a good mum.

"No, Tommy. Not today, okay?", I sounded serious than before but he's Calum's son so yeah, he won't take no for an answer. 

"Come on, mummy! You could eat ice-cream tooo!"he put his fists together, begging for ice-cream. 

"You could have the extra candy in the candy bowl", I suggested but now he has his arms crossed.

"No, mummy. I want ice-cream". So much for raising an obedient child.