07; Bringing it back

Shay's POV

How did he find me? I can't believe that I just met him yesterday, 5 years after he left me without saying goodbye. His last words was, 'you deserve better, baby'. Seeing him last night brings back the heartaches I've felt getting over him. After he left that night, I was in a state of shock. I wonder how can he do that to me, but I understood that he was in shock too so I gave him space. I didn't call him after that eventhough I really wanted to, I wanted to talk this through, I want to tell him that I do love him and leaving him on pursuing my dream does not mean that I love him any less. Without any good sleep, I went to his place to talk to him before he go to his uncle's place but when I got there, Mrs.Hood answered the door and she said that Calum is not up yet, I didn't want to wake him up so I went back home. 

I waited for him to call or text, but nothing. Then I start to wonder whether I should just study here, where I'll be close to him but this is an oppurtunity! Anyone in the right mind would not pass this offer down, I had second thoughts about it. I went to his place again in the afternoon, hoping that I could catch him and talk to him. I just wanted to talk to him, to make things better. As I drive in front of his house, their car was not on the driveway. I missed him. He didn't even say goodbye. I kept an open mind and figured that he needed space to think things through and hope that he would understand how much I want to grab this oppurtunity. 

It had been a week and he didn't even call me, not even a text message. Then, a thought came to mind, did he broke up with me? Is that why he didn't call me? I mean, we had a fight, yes but I never wanted to break up, I was not good at these relationship stuffs so I decided to go over to Rachel's house and talk to her about it.

"What was his last words to you?", I remember she asked me that.

"You deserve better baby?"

She let out a huge sigh, "he let you go, Shay. When a guy said that you deserve better, he wants you to get a better guy which is not him".

"So, I'm not with him anymore? He dumped me on that night?", I can feel my heart drop to the floor.

Rachel wanted to say something but I was having all kinds of emotions twisting inside of me, "but I thought he wanted space cause we had a fight, and he would come back to his senses and understand. I waited for him, Rach! It has been a week and all I could think about was him, but he would not be thinking of me cause we broke up and I didn't know! How stupid can I be?!"

"Calm down, Shay..", I can't calm down at that moment in time.

"No, I can't! Realizing that I'm not with Calum anymore breaks my heart, Rach. This summer was great for me, even though I may not show it that much but really, he is the best thing that ever happened to me. How could he do this to me? This is all because I wanted to go to Princeton?! Oh my God!", I remember the feeling of my heart being stabbed, and my lungs shattering cause of my loud cries. 

"Shay, if he can't go through this with you then he's right, you deserve better than Calum. Yeah, he's been an asshole for even make you miss this opportunity. This is your future we're talking about, with or without him in it. I know it hurts like hell right now, I know it feels like that no one can love you like he does but there are a lot of guys out there, nice guys. They can even dig literature like you do, Calum doesn't even read! You can meet guys of your type in Princeton, the smart ones, preppy and nerdy but adorkable!", I chuckled cause I do have a thing for those nerdy but adorable guys, she had a point.Calum was moving on already, and I'm here crying over a break-up? Calum made me vulnerable, I admit but not anymore, I'm not gonna cry and hoping he'll come back. He was going to pursue his music career and I had a university to go to.

I focused my week on prepping myself to go to America, but I would be lying if Calum did not cross my mind. He was my summer romance, he made me happy. He made me do things I can never have done, like this tattoo. I don't regret that I have been with him, it was great while it lasts but when he doesn't feel it anymore, you can't force it. The day before I flew to America, I went again to his place, just to say goodbye and wishing him all the best. It's just an excuse for me to look at his face for one last time. When I pulled over in front of his house, I walked out of the car and went to his garage, guessing that he would be jamming with his band but no one was there. But I see his bass hanging there on stand, he loved his bass. I touch his bass, missing him playing it to me. I pulled out my phone to call him but then, he didn't even once called me and I'm not gonna look desperate so I shove it back into my pocket and just go with the flow. I really do not want to look desperate so I was determined to get him out of my head but then this beautiful boy came along.