Chapter 3: Captured (Rewritten)

Chapter 3: Captured

Awkward silence.

He just kept, staring....

Goosebumps pricked up on my skin, my heart picking up pace. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know where too place my hands or legs. My legs were aching but I didn't want to place them down on the floor, I felt safe tucked into a ball. A ball of security.

It'd been thirty minutes since we had started driving. I had tried to keep track of where we were going. I'd given up on trying to remember after the 10th turn.

I'd guessed we were leaving the city and heading towards the countryside, it had been a long time since I had left the city, the districts were hard to cross over. Each sector having someone rule over it.
Prowling the streets for any women to claim, any other men from other districts to shoot.

Drugs and weapons were the absolute normal now, the key to power. Kill or be killed.
Gangs taking on gangs for more land.
It was a very scary world we were living in.
There we rumours the virus had mutated some of the humans giving them abilities, id never met them. Probably just rumours.

Eli, I had heard of him many times. Dangerous, you didn't want too pass him. Ruthless killer, drug lord. You just didn't fuck with him.

I came back into focus on my body and how it was feeling. My palms were sweaty from being pressed together by the rope. My heart rate was steadying out although I'm sure any sound or action would have it picking up again.

I plucked up the courage too look at my captor. Was I the first female he had come across in years? The others seemed to be shocked and of course.... gasping for the feel of their load to explode.

My hair was covering my face. I hadn't cut my hair in years too the point it was passed my butt.
I slowly arched my neck up toward him, peeping through the curtain of my fringe.
He was there still still staring at me, I adverted my eyes down again.

A low chuckle was released by him, what was so funny? Had he already conjured up a plan of what to do with me? Traffic me off too the highest bidder? Keep me as a slave? Kill me? No I doubt he'd kill me, I was rare. So many doors of power and wealth opened once you had a girl. Some of the men wanted a female to reproduce, to give them an heir. Not many could bare children though. Although they had murdered my only friend, an accident given. I could see they were annoyed by the loss of 'cattle'. We were items.

I built up courage, biting the inside of my cheek. "What are you going to do with me?" I didn't make eye contact though, I wasn't that brave.

He made no attempt to answer.

This was more unnerving than if he had answered. I swallowed a hard lump in my throat. I decided not to pry it.

The van came too a slow stop, feeling the tires crunching on the gravel below. Picking up my head I looked to Eli, now getting ready to open the door. I could makes a dash for it, if we were near woods or a lake or anything! I could just run, run as far as my legs would carry me. I'd run through any pain, I'd push through the burning chest sensation you get. I just wanted to get away.

I moved slowly, quietly. I had picked up the skill of making next to no noise when moving. Archery was another main skill of mine, I was mean with a bow. Our main source of food was game that me and Marcy had taken down, she fast on her feet. Together we were a great team.

I managed to get into crouch position making my way towards the door, Eli now turning to climb down out the van. As he step onto the road, he put his hand into his leather jacket pulling out a pack of cigarettes, once both feet where out the van, he sparked up and inhaled deeply. I was so close behind him, all I need was for him to move too the side slightly, then I could jump and sprint.

I inhaled deeply ready to build up momentum and leap. Bad move, the smoke from the cigarette when down the wrong hole, my gag reflexes caused me to cough out loud.
Wide eyed, I looked towards the blue eyes that now met mine.

Fuck it!

I pushed him out the way, my feet leaving the ground in an attempt to create distance as I left the van, landing in crouch position I steady myself.
Knowing to never to turn my back on enemies, my body swung round to face my predators. I their prey.
Just from the look in their eyes, I was a stag and them the wolves.

"Don't think about it, girly" Eli stared me down, the Alpha of pack his power and dominance radiated of him making my feet feel like they'd be buried into the earth below me.
Ok, I didn't think this through did I? I thought I was brave enough to execute this plan. I really wasn't. I wasn't Marcy. Plus they did have guns.

"You don't want to end up like your friend now do you?" Isaac eyed me.

I bared my teeth, What? I may have picked up some slightly feral traits these past few years.

"Feisty little mouse" I snapped up to Isaac who was still in the passenger seat of the van leaning out the window, giving me a wicked smirk. Twisted.

"I would advise you come back here before I shoot a knee cap." The words came so composed from his mouth, it was chilling how calm they were.

Slowly I straightened out my posture from crouching and dragged myself backwards shaking my head.

I was slow in my back up that Eli had lost all patience.
"I haven't got time for games today"
He strode up too me and yanked me towards him. He took his gun from the side of his belt.

I froze and started to shake, oh shit. He was going to shoot my knee cap.

"I'm sorry! I won't do it again" I blurted out. I was so scared.

"You're damn well right you won't" he pulled the gun up too my head and I flinched waiting for impact of a bullet.
A loud bang and hit too my temple sent me falling to the ground and into darkness.