Taken (Rewritten)

Start from the beginning

Mud sticking to my skin creating a natural camouflage, I found a tree trunk opening, just big enough for me to slide and fit into.
The opening wasn't noticeable from the original footpath I had ran up the first time I came this way, I only found as I was low to the ground, it's entrance covered by a fallen branch.

I positioned myself in low, giving an excellent view of my original boot tracks in which I'd hope they follow off up too wear I removed them, meanwhile I could backtrack heading back too the camp. Let me think, it was roughly... just over a mile away? Maybe even closer, I felt I had ran good distance but not run a marathon.

Waiting gave me time to examine my shoulder that had been hit. It was only a surface graze, which left me pondering whether or not he had meant to only skim me?
Or did he have bad aim?
I can't imagine someone like him having bad aim...
-
"Over here, I see her tracks"

My head snapped to the direction of them. They were close by, about half a yard away.
I had managed to get ahead of them quite well considering, then again, told you I was fast.
Plus adrenaline really does help with momentum. I was a good eight minutes ahead.

Mud squelched as their own boots sunk into the forest floor, amidst the trees, shadows formed as they came closer to where I was. Into eyesight five tall figures came into my view.

They were all so well built, tall and broad.
All of them wearing sweatpants or jeans. Black or grey seemed to be their colours of clothing choice. Like myself they all wore as pair of combat boots, they were the best choice for the world today. Long lasting and sturdy.

They crept forward, their pace was slow, unusual for people pursuing something. You'd think they'd be quick on their feet in hope to catch up with me.

Eli raised his hand in the air, signalling for them to come to a stop. He just stood there looking around, like a wolf searching for its prey.

I hitch my breath in fear it would give me away, even though I was a good distance for it not to be heard by them. A sharp nod from their leader to carry on.

Forward they walked, following my tracks. The trail lead them away from where I was,
I waited, I could hear no footsteps, no voices. Could they have walked on further than my tracks?

I wasn't going to hang about to find out. The tree bark caught my hair as I descended out from my hiding place. I had to yank my locks hair to release myself.

I started a good paced run, back towards the camp, following track left by myself previously. The soft spongy ground was good to run on.
In and out of the trees I weaved, no sight nor sound of anyone following me.

My pace kept well. I'm surprised I didn't slip on the mud. The journey back always feels shorter? I mentally cursed as the trees became more spread out, sun light beaming through them. Meaning the floor here was dryer, the mud hard like gravel, stones, twigs and even the leaves cut into the soles of my feet.

They felt bruised and tender to put weight on them, I had to slow down to a walk. My bearings were off, the ground here didn't have any tracks. I was lost with five men with guns out searching for me, it wouldn't be long before they found my boots I'm sure of it. I think one of them had landed on a branch on full display.

I felt stupid not knowing where I was going, my only logic was to head in a straight line from last set of tracks I found. I can't remember taking a drastic turns running away.