Chapter 31

"You're already studying for exams, Moony?" Sirius cartwheeled around the dormitory, obviously full of energy.

"Yes, and I would appreciate it if you would leave me be." Remus said, not glancing up from his essay.

"Exams are a month away!" Peter said, his mouth hanging open.

"And I need to study. Full moon's in a week, and Madam Pomfrey says I can't study a few days before and after, for some reason, so I need to cram now."

"But if you don't study until after, you'll still have a few weeks to study. You need to calm down!" James said, playing with a Snitch he had bought from Hogsmeade.

"I'll calm down when I'm done studying!" Remus snapped.

Sirius crashed onto his bed, holding his head.

"Ouch. I ran into the bed with my head." He said, rubbing his dark hair. "Hey, that rhymed! I should be a singer. I have the looks, after all."

Remus rolled his eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes! You have the looks, too! Just not the mad rhyming skills." Sirius grinned.

Remus's heart fluttered. "I have the looks?"

"Well yeah, of course. Your hair itself should be on a beauty magazine. Not to mention the bad ass scars." Sirius hopped from his bed to Remus's, messing up both of the sheets. But Remus didn't care.

"You're mental." Remus said, a blush creeping up his cheeks. "And the scars aren't me, they're just coincidental."

"Hey, maybe you do have the rhyming skills! We could be a duo, touring the country together!" Sirius jumped from Remus's bed to Peter's.

"Are you on a mission to mess up all the sheets?" James said, grinning as Sirius ran from Peter's bed, to Remus's, to his own, to James's.

"Mission complete!" Sirius said proudly. "I'm bored, someone entertain me."

"I'm sure all of your girlfriends would be happy to." Remus said dryly.

"Ugh, they're boring. All they do is giggle and try to touch my hair. I have to wear it in a bun whenever I'm around Abbott." Sirius stretched out onto the sofa.

"Doesn't she have a thing for Muggles?" Peter asked as he watched James catch the Snitch for the millionth time.

"Guess I'm an exception. Too gorgeous." Sirius shrugged.

"That's true." Remus said absentmindedly, not seeing Sirius's face turn bright red.

                               ~~~

Remus signed his name with a flourish.

"There! All done!" He smiled down at the completed Marauder's Map. All of the students were tracked on it, and they had even put a very complicated spell on it to show whoever comes on the Hogwarts Grounds, no matter who they are.

Remus passed the quill to his friends.

James looked surprised.

"Sign our names? We barely helped!"

"But it's the Marauder's Map. All of ours." Remus pushed the quill into James's hand.

"You signed it 'Moony'!" Sirius said excitedly. "Glad you finally gave in to the nickname."

"I always liked it." Remus grinned.

"But if you signed it with your nickname, we should sign it with ours." Peter said, jumping to look over James's tall shoulder.

"Right. Moony, Siri, Jamie, and Pete. Rolls right off the tounge." Sirius said sarcastically.

"I guess we'll just have to wait for the nicknames to come naturally. Ones that don't involve our own names, in case someone finds it." James shrugged, handing the quill back to Remus.

"Guess so." Remus said, giving up.

~~~

Sirius was gazing at himself in the mirror again.

"Don't you wish someone looked at you the way Sirius looks at himself?" James teased, ruffling his hair.

"Shut it, Potter. My hair looks weird. I washed it a week ago, I don't know why it's so bad."

Remus chuckled. "A week ago?"

"Yeah. Reggie told me I don't need to wash it every day, but I think he was lying." Sirius turned his head side to side, playing with his dark locks.

Remus sighed. "Come here, Sirius. We only have a few minutes until Charms, so you can't wash it, but I can braid it so at least it won't look...like that."

"Peter and I are going to go down early. Flitwick said the exam won't be easy, and it won't hurt to get on his good side and show up on time for once." James said as he and Peter walked out the door.

Sirius sat in front of Remus, offering his disgusting hair for him to braid.

"You really should wash it every day. Regulus is probably just jealous of your gorgeous curls." Remus said as he started braiding.

"Think it's gorgeous, Lupin?" Sirius said, grinning.

"Not when it's like this." Remus said, trying to ignore the blush creeping up his face.

"Ouch! Why are you tugging so hard?" Sirius jumped, glaring at Remus in the mirror.

"Sorry. It's a french braid. Makes it look not so greasy."

"Snivellous could use a french braid."

Remus chuckled. "That he could."

Remus finished, smiling at his creation.

"It's beautiful! How'd you learn how to do this?!" Sirius marvelled at himself in the mirror.

"Lily taught me how. Well, she taught Mary. I just listened in." Remus grinned.

"You got all this from listening? Bloody hell, maybe I should give it a try one of these times." Sirius said, turning towards Remus. Their faces were inches apart. They locked eyes. Ocean blue and honey golden, just staring at each other.

"Jeez, are you guys done? I forgot my wand. Can we walk down together?" James poked his head into the dormitory.

"Oh. Yeah."

They stepped apart quickly, looking away and blushing furiously as James searched for his wand.

As they walked down, Remus couldn't help but think about how Sirius didn't step away. They both just stood there, staring into each other's eyes like a couple of absolute twats.

Remus sighed. He was probably making stuff up now. It was probably only two seconds, not two minutes. And Sirius is completely, utterly, straight. No doubt about it.