Strike Three

Mulai dari awal

They make their way up to the house with Micah and a couple of different dishes in Trin's hand. She hands me a dish for me to take so her hands aren't as full. She follows me into the kitchen and sets the food down. "Hey, have you heard from mom?" I ask, messing around with my rings.

"No. Why? Is she not coming?"

"I don't know. I told her we were doing dinner at six and I got 'okay' for an answer."

"I don't see why she doesn't come."

She walks away from me and I keep myself busy in the dining room so I don't have to think about it. I watch Christian, my dad, his brothers, and Trinity go downstairs as the rest of them sat around in the living room.

The doorbell rings just as we were about to start eating. I back my seat out and go over to the door. Once we all sat down, I gave up on my mom coming. I open the door seeing my mom, standing out there. I wish I could say I was thrilled to see her. I'm happy she made it. Not happy that she's late and acting as nothing happened. 

"Everyone is at the table. I can take your jacket."

I walk to our room where we've been keeping everyone's jacket. I just need a minute to myself. At least she's here, right? She could've just not shown. I don't know if I've been at a family dinner with her in years. And I think this is the first time in years that my dad and her will be in the same place for a few hours. So her not showing was okay with me, I think.

I make my way back downstairs and make eye contact with Trin and Christian. He knows I was worried about this. If she did or didn't show, I was still worried. I sit back down in between Christian and my mom, hoping nothing stupid comes from her mouth.

"There's my little munchkin," my mom says coming up to me, my dad, and Micah as I held him.

She takes him from me as if I wasn't busy holding him. Strike one. My dad notices my annoyance and tries to take him back.

He takes him from my mom and she crosses her arms. "So between us three," she starts, "Did he pay for all of this?" Strike two.

"I'm sorry, what?" I say.

"Catherine, that's not appropriate."

"What? I'm just asking as her mother, I want to know."

Fine. "No, we both did."

"Wow, that's impressive."

"Why is that so impressive? Because I don't make as much as he does?" I say, keeping my voice down.

"Well, yeah. I mean, we all know you're just in this for the looks and money." Strike fucking three.

"Catherine, I think you should go," my dad tells her, stepping in between us. He knows our relationship is rocky. And now, it's even rockier.

"Dave, it's the truth."

"No, it's not and you know that. For once, be happy for her."

My dad turns and hands me Micah, "Catherine, you should go." I step away from them because I want no part in this. She doesn't know what Christian and I have because she never comes around. She'll never know now. I'm done with her.

I go to our room with Micah and bounce him around, "Your grandma doesn't deserve your sweet presence, little one."

He looks up at me with his big brown eyes, "She deserves nothing. Not you, not me, nothing."

"I love you like you're my own, Micah. That's why your momma made me your god-momma. Me and your Uncle Christian are your godparents and we wouldn't want to do it for anyone else. Don't you ever let your grandma treat you the way she treats me, okay? You deserve everything life has to give you. Don't let her take it away from you like she did to me."