Root For Her

Cody~

"Follow me," I say before looking back at the field to see if anyone is watching us. Once we get over to my car, I dig in the glove box that he said he would put the box in, but it's not there. "Shit."

"What?"

"He took it in with him. Corey has an engagement ring on him that's supposed to be for your sister and I don't know what the hell he's going to do with it."

"What do we do? I will not let him ruin what her and Christian have going."

"We have to keep them separated. Have to. I don't think it's a good idea to let Christian know. Just keep it between us for now. I guess we'll just have to really watch him."

"Maybe you should see if you can get switched around."

That's not a bad idea. "Except she wants me on her team. Christian told me that's the only way she'd play."

"Well, which scenario do you want to happen more? You being over here with all of us and no one with Corey that knows what's going on. Or, you being over there so he can have someone to talk to. It's your call."

"I'll get switched. She'll just have to deal with it."

"Probably the better idea. Please just keep an eye on him."

"Yeah, I will."

We walk back over to where most people were standing. Luna is nowhere to be seen, by me at least. "Hey, Christian, where'd Luna go?" Trin asks him. Great, I'm not the only one that noticed she wasn't around.

"Bathroom, I think." I elbow Trin, "Oh, right." She walks away from us.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, but I need to be on the other team."

He looks confused, "Why?"

"Oh, um, Corey's going to be all alone with nobody to talk to so I thought I would ask to see if I could go over to that team instead."

"Yeah, let me go talk to Brauny."

"Thanks, man."

Trinity~

"Hey, sis," I say a little too dramatically as she walks out of the bathroom. I got there before Corey could get to the building. I saw him walking up the hill when I started walking toward the bathroom.

"Hi? What are you doing?"

"I can't say hi to my only full sister?"

"I mean you can, it's just you been staying at the house for two days..." I should've said something different.

"Come on, let's go this way," I say turning her in the opposite direction of Corey as he continued to walk toward us. I will not let him ruin Christian's fundraiser. And I will not let him ruin Christian and Luna's relationship.

"Why are you acting so weird?"

"I'm not. I'm excited to be out here. I haven't seen Cody since the World Series so I guess I'm just hyped up for that."

"That all?" No, I just found out you're supposed to be getting engaged today by your ex. But, he was too stupid to not let you grow your career. So, no, that's not all of it.

"Oh, I thought I should let you know that Cody switched over to the other team so Cody doesn't have to be alone all game."

"What? No."

"He didn't want Corey to be alone."

"Corey will be fine." No, I don't think he will.

"Ugh, fine."