Keep Her Around

Christian~

"I can't believe you're actually here. When'd you get in?" I ask as we head back to my place.

"I left Milwaukee at noon. I got in at 1:30 and your mom picked me up."

"And you stayed upstairs the entire time I was down there."

"Yeah, we planned it where they were going to keep you busy. You actually came in the house when I was talking to your mom in the kitchen."

"Oh my gosh, you're right! I clearly wasn't paying attention."

"Yeah and then Ryan almost blew my cover by saying my name very loudly."

"Sounds like something he might do."

"And then your mom told me there was a spot next to you and that I should probably go when I did. I almost turned to Collin and asked how long it was going to take for you to notice but it didn't take you that long."

"I really didn't expect you to be sitting next to me. But I'm glad you were."

She holds my hand a bit tighter as it sits in her lap. "I didn't want to miss this and I'm glad I didn't."

I pull into the driveway and turn the car off. She gets out and meets me in the back where her suitcase and carry-on bags were. "You can unpack in the morning. I know you're tired."

"Okay," she tells me almost as a whisper. She looks so tired. Almost as if she didn't get much sleep last night or on the plane.

"Wow, the view is amazing," she says as she stands in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows that look out at the ocean.

I go stand behind her, "It's better when you can actually see the water."

"I bet."

She stayed out on the patio as I got her bag into our room. I watch her through the glass door as she stands against the railing. I open the door and she looks back at me with a soft smile.

"I put your stuff in the closet."

"Okay, thank you."

She seems off right now. Like just not there. And I don't know what she needs right now. "Do you want to head to bed?"

"Yeah." She walks over to me and heads toward the door. I gently grab her arm and pull her into me. Maybe she just needs a hug. A good hug. "It's been a long two weeks without you."

"I know, but you're here now and for the next month. It'll be just like how it was a few months ago." I kiss the top of her head and rub her back.

Once we get up to our room she goes to change out of her dress. "My mom sent me those pictures she took of us," I tell her as she came out in one of the sweatshirts I left for her back in Milwaukee.

"Yeah?"

She comes over and stands in front of me as I show her the photos. We both look so complete and happy to be back together. "Are you good?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm just tired. I've been up since 6:30."

"Well, it's not like we're doing anything tomorrow."

"Which is perfect because I will probably sleep for a while."

She hands me my phone back and leans down to hug me. I lay back on the bed and bring her with me. "I missed you."

"I know."

"No, like I think I was at your place more than I was at mine."

"You have a key for a reason." I love that she did that. For whatever reason, I love that.