You Did It

Christian~

I just slid into second after sending the ball into left field right at the warning track. Beaty or Belli couldn't get to it in time therefore I ended up at second. I take off my protective guards and had them off to the first base coach. He hands me my mit and I shove my batting gloves into my back pocket.

I step back on the bag and dust myself off. "Hey, Yeli," I hear from the side of me. Here we go. Don't say anything.

I look up to see Corey walking toward me. "Hey, I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything last series. It was childish and uncalled for."

Wow. I mean I don't know what I'm supposed to say. "Thanks, man. We're probably giving her a heart attack right now just because we're talking."

"Why's that? Anxiety?"

"Yeah. She doesn't really want to be here right now."

"Do you have my number?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Text me later."

I nod and watch as Keston struck out swinging. That went way better than I expected. I wasn't going to say anything but he was being nice and I'm not going to be an ass.

I jog back to the dugout and put my helmet in the little space we have with all of our stuff. I look over to see what she's doing and it looks like nothing. Sam notices me looking over there and nudges her. I just give her a thumbs up and I can visibly see the relief on her face.

After six innings both teams are still scoreless. I knew both of us were going to put up a fight but not like this especially in game one. I just got intentionally walked so I guess whatever floats their boat. Bases are loaded now with Keston up. He swings through two awful pitches that most likely would've been balls. C'mon kid, make contact.

He swings and fouls it off. I get a small lead, not that I can go anywhere. He takes a big swing and sends the ball pull-side. We all watch the ball fall into the bullpen. "Let's fucking go!" I hear from the dugout.

We jog around the bases and wait for him to get to home plate. The crowd is unbelievably loud. Brings me back to the 2018 NLCS. Same place. Same team. Except for this time, it feels different.

"Way to show up, kid!"

We all walk through the hyped-up dugout and when I get to the end I stop. I poke her leg through the netting and she jumps but looks over at me with a small smile. "I promise you it was nothing bad. He just apologized."

She nods and directs her attention to Sam, "Are you ready to go on after this inning is over?"

"Yeah."

I watch as she gets ready and I let her be. She'll come around. I know she will. She has every right to feel nervous about Corey and me communicating. I think I'd feel the same way if she and one of my exes were talking.

One down. Three to go. 4-1 isn't terrible when both teams took a bit to score. I quickly shower and get changed before heading to her office. "Hey, are you ready?"

"Yeah, I gotta let these files transfer over quick."

"Take your time. We aren't in a rush."

She looks up at me for the first time since the middle of the game and smiles. I sit down in one of the chairs and watch her walk around her office gathering her stuff as the files loaded onto her computer. Everything about her is perfect. The way her baby blue eyes look perfect under any lighting. Her small pointed nose sits just right. Her small pink lips are just right. Her straight, white teeth. Her long light brown hair looks good no matter what she does with it. I could go on and on if I wanted to.