Have It Your Way

Luna~

"I applied for a few sports reporter positions today," I tell Corey as we stood in his kitchen.

"Yeah? Where at?"

He's not going to like this next part. "The Brewers had an opening. So did the Rays and then also the Padres but I'm really hoping for a call back from the Brewers."

"Babe, what do you mean you applied for a job in Milwaukee? I'm here, remember?"

"Corey, we talked about this. I told you I was going to start applying to teams across the country. I'm not meant to be some morning news anchor. My dream is to work for a sports team, not to be a morning show host."

"Well, did you even look out here?" he asks clearly annoyed.

"That is the first place I looked, but I got nothing. The closest one to you in two hours away in San Diego. So I had to go to my other options. And trust me, I remember you are here. I know you are here. It's not even certain that I'm going there or anywhere. I just applied. I haven't gotten an email or phone call yet."

"So you're just going to leave me? Just like that?"

I start to get angry once he said that. "I cannot believe you just said that. Just because I might be leaving the city, doesn't mean I'll leave you."

"You want to do long distance?" he shouts even though we're not even ten feet apart standing in the middle of his apartment living room.

"Corey, if it comes down to that, yes. But I understand if you don't want to. Long-distance is hard and can tear people apart."

"You know what, it sounds like you're just giving up on us. So, fuck it. Go wherever you want and be the star you were meant to be."

"I'M GIVING UP ON US? SERIOUSLY? YOU'RE THE ONE IMPLYING WE JUST BREAK UP NOW."

"Maybe we should. Save us a lot of time and energy once you do leave. Just don't go fucking random guys in Milwaukee, okay?."

I shake my head, "Fine. Have it your way," I grab my overnight bag and purse before heading to the door trying to keep in my tears. 

"Here's your key," I say slamming it down on the small table. "I'll have Cody come pick up my stuff. Also, I'll fuck whoever the hell I want."

"Luna! Wait!"

"What? What could you possibly want?"

He stares blankly at me as I glare at him, "That's what I thought. Have a great rest of your season," I say before closing the door behind me.

"Luna, it's 11 pm, what do you- Hey, woah, what happened?" Cody asks me as he finally sees my appearance standing in the doorway outside of his apartment. I've been sobbing the whole way here. Cody is my best friend. He's been my best friend ever since we were young. He's the one I connected most with on a friendship level. He set Corey and me up a couple of years ago.

"We broke up," I say through my sobs and into his chest. "Okay, okay. Just come in and sit down."

"Is this because you started looking at other places for a job?" I nod and take a deep breath, "I have an interview tomorrow afternoon for the Brewers."

"No way! You're going big! Why would he be so upset?"

"He claims I didn't tell him, but I know I did. I remember talking about it with him and he was okay with it. And now we just screamed at each other for ten minutes until he decided he wanted to end things."

"Do you want me to talk to him?"

"Why? He clearly doesn't support me going somewhere to live out my dream. What's going to change? Nothing. I told him if he didn't want to do the distance, that's fine with me and I get it. But he didn't even try and gave up right there."