Ch 93: Closure

Morrigan sat on the ragged couch in the cabin her and Sirius had now called home. In her hand she played with a stone a contemplative look on her features as her fingers traced over its engraving time and time again, almost as if she were tentative about something. 

Sirius had decided he needed a breath of air. The funerals and memorials taking a toll on him, each one reminding him that he was the lone survivor of his Hogwarts days. That no matter what they wouldn't be back, that his friends were gone for good. It caused a pit of despair to grow within him, and while he tried to remind himself that he could still have a good life, he found it difficult to picture without at least one marauder by his side. 

Hearing the door open to the cabin Morrigan pocketed the stone. She sunk into the couch as she played with the sleeves of her black dress. Sirius ran a hand through his hair as he chewed on his lower lip, "What do we do now Morrigan?" 

"I don't know," Morrigan said in a near whisper. "You're seeing Harry today aren't you?" 

Sirius nodded, "Yeah, we're going to clear out Grimmauld Place... are you sure you don't want to come?" 

"No," She shook her head, "I don't want to intrude, that's your moment to have with Harry not mine." 

Understanding her point Sirius sat down next to her and pressed a gentle kiss on her temple. He tiptoed around his emotions with her, not wanting to express his grief he wasn't sure if it was because of shame or embarrassment, but something about seeing Morrigan so kept together compared to Cedric's death made him uneasy. 

Unknown to him though, she was numb. Cedric's death hit hard because it blindsided her, but well before the battle Morrigna knew that they wouldn't all make it out alive. The pain was still present within her, but just not worn on her sleeve as it was previously. 

She rested her head on his shoulder doing her best to comfort him while relishing in his presence herself. In the past few days they didn't speak often, not wanting to say the misery they were feeling in case it made it all worse. Yet they didn't have anything to fill them with happiness either, so they let it be. 

Sirius pecked her on the lips, "I better get going, I'll be back before dinner." 

"Send my best to Harry," she replied kissing him softly. 

"I will," Sirius said as he stood from the sofa, leaving the house. 

As Morrigan heard the familiar crack of apparition she took the stone from her pocket once more. She wondered if it was a good idea to use it, to talk to the dead and get answers for questions she didn't have. If it would cause more harm than it would good. But the sole reason she held on to it, was because of the look Harry wore when he gave her the stone. As if he trusted her not to abuse it, as if it was a sick destiny she had to follow. 

Following the lore Morrigan rolled the stone three time in her hand. Her eyes closed as she wondered who would return. She hadn't thought of anyone in particular when she used it. Instead she only felt fear. 

"Morrigan," a familiar voice said quietly. "It's alright, you can open your eyes." 

Morrigan peaked through her lashline hesitantly making out the shape of the person who stood in front of her. "Remus?" 

If she were perfectly honest part of her was disappointed that it wasn't Cedric who spoke to her, she had longed to have closure with the boy. Yet the disappointment didn't show on her features. Only the shock that she felt. 

"Harry shouldn't have given you the stone-" 

Morrigan rolled her eyes, "Spare the lecture Remus-"