Ch 65: Intrusive Thoughts

The twins arrived early to the Order meeting having been invited by Morrigan to spend an afternoon catching up with one another. She missed their constant presence in her life, the way their sarcastic jokes made everything seem as though it was going to be okay, that it was just another normal day. 

It was their talent. Making peoples worries disappear, perhaps it was why they were so successful in their joke shop. Allowing people to laugh at Voldemort and Umbridge, finding joy amongst the terrible things that lay on everyone's doorsteps. And they were drawn to Morrigan, because while they made people feel joy, Morrigan had the talent to see past others flaws, and genuinely help. The trio once laughed about this fact and planned to create an elaborate self-help pyramid scheme. 

"So how have things been in Diagon Alley?" Morrigan asked. 

"Grim," Fred said, "the streets are empty, I mean it's great because we're making loads of money, but not a lot of fit birds around to take out on a date if you know what I mean." 

Morrigan snorted the laughter that followed was loud and lighthearted, "Merlin I've missed you two." 

"Of course you have," George grinned, "And if handsome barman over there isn't doing his job right, you can always move on to me." 

She rolled her eyes but before she could reply Fred interjected, "Sorry mate, I think you're a bit young for Morrigan. She likes em' one foot in the grave." 

"Fred!" She scolded but grinned, "You're not wrong." 

"Ew," they chorused together before bursting into laughter. 

As the laughter died down, George suddenly perked up, "Good news, Ron broke up with Lavender." 

"About time," Morrigan commented remembering the description of the two as a couple. "Lovely girl though, but Helga they were an odd couple." 

"Probably because Ginny broke up with Dean as well," Fred added. 

Morrigan ran a hand through her grey strands, "So who even is still together?" 

"Well funny you say that actually," George smiled, "apparently Ginny and Harry are an item." 

"Shut up!" Morrigan said excitedly, "who else knows?" 

"Not sure," Fred said his brows furrowed from the confusion caused by her reaction, "What's got you buzzing?" 

"I bet on your sister ending up with Harry by the end of the year," Morrigan explained, "I just need to find Sirius and mark it on the betting sheet." 

"There's a betting sheet and we weren't invited?" George said feigning offense in a dramatic manner, holding his hand over his heart. "I'm hurt, are you hurt Fred?" 

"I'm hurt George," Fred sniffed pretending to wipe a tear away. 

"Shut up you two," Morrigan giggled. 

Owen watched the three from behind the bar as they chatted, catching up on the gossip from their lives and their old school days, reminiscing on simpler times they shared together. Her laugh never failed to make him happy, there was something so pure about it. But he couldn't figure out what she was missing, why when she was lost in thought her eyes looked glassy and distant. 

Slowly members of the Order began to arrive, first Bill and Fleur who after greeting Owen briefly went to the table to greet Morrigan and the twins. Then Tonks, Alastor, and Kingsley who had managed to slip away from the ministry for the evening. Molly and Arthur followed, and the last to arrive were Sirius and Remus. 

All of them were now sat at the large table in the back of the pub, laughing loudly and smiling with one another. It was a shared bond, possessing magic, something that unified them beyond families and friendships. As Owen poured a few drinks he could hear Morrigan shouting down the table, "So Moony and Padfoot, where's my nickname?"