Ch 91: Blood Caked Faces and Motionless Bodies

Morrigan threw spell after spell at the death eaters, having to retreat from her position in the tower once it was overrun. She could only describe the scene in front of her as pure chaos. The carnage of war tearing its way through the students who fought back against much older and experienced witches and wizards. 

Next to her Bill fired off a curse, blasting back the witch who tried to attack him. The two were making their way towards the grounds, hoping to regroup with Arthur and Remus. Morrigan continuously cast defensive charms around herself and Bill while he fired strings of curses, hexes and jinxes, his time working as a curse breaker proving useful. 

They were proving to be a strong team, both working in an almost beautiful way yelling about approaching combatants and encouraging each other to continue the fight. Morrigan did her best to ignore the bodies that lay on the floor, the smell of blood and smoke filling her senses as they pushed through towards the courtyard. 

The battlefield was full of carnage, Morrigan could barely make out who was death eater and who was a student from the soot that covered everyone's faces. Yet in the crowd she managed to spot the bright red hair of Arthur Weasley, along with Tonks and Remus. 

"Bill!" Morrigan yelled amongst the screams and explosions, "They're to my left!" 

A scream interrupted their movements as Lavender Brown's body dropped from a balcony, hitting the ground with a thud. Morrigan's eyes widened in terror as she saw the hollow expression Lavender held as her gaze found Morrigan. She whimpered on the floor, her body twitching slightly as she died slowly, her waist down completely paralyzed. Fenrir Greyback descended upon her, using his wolf like fangs to desecrate her body, the entire time Lavenders eyes never left Morrigan's almost as though she needed the comfort of seeing a friendly face as she felt the excruciating pain of the werewolf's bite. 

Fenrir looked up at Morrigan a sadistic smile on his lips as blood dripped from his mouth in a way that shook her to her core. "I can smell you," he said his grin widening as he eyed up Morrigan. 

Morrigan took a deep breath and raised her wand. Focusing on her surroundings she knew that Bill was in a heated duel, he couldn't help. There was no one else around, and the battle would be between Morrigan and Fenrir. It was in this moment that she knew that the battle could only result in one of their deaths. 

Fenrir raised his wand sending a curse in her direction that she quickly blocked. Their duel caught some distracted eyes, the bright lights shining amongst the smoke and dust from the destroyed stone of the castle. With each spell cast Greyback got closer, to him this was just a way of getting near to her, none of his spells could kill. He wanted to do that with his teeth. 

Her heart raced as she noticed he was nearly within arms reach, she could see the fire reflecting in his eyes and she began to wonder if this would be it. He tackled her, her head and back hitting the ground with a harsh impact. He crawled on top of her, his hand holding her wand arm down so she couldn't defend herself under his weight. 

"Look at this, you're all alone, no one to rescue you Hale. You have a bit of wolf in you, it's a shame you'll have to die." 

Morrigan used her left hand and dug into her pocket, crying as she felt him lick up her neck in a long motion marking where he was going to bite her. She felt the small handle she was looking for and took a deep breath. With a swift movement and all the strength she could muster she threw her body weight against him causing him to waver slightly. 

"You bitch," his teeth bared, mouth open as he began his descent. 

With a final scream Morrigan plunged the pocket knife into the side of his neck. His mouth shut before he began to sputter blood out of the wound and his mouth covering the sides of Morrigan's face and her chest with the aftermath of her attack.