Ch 33: Blink and The Moment is Gone

Morrigan stormed into the pub with fire coursing through her veins. The anger she felt refused to subside as she walked behind the bar aggressively putting on her apron, even though the pain in her hand fought her while she fumbled with its strings. She couldn't believe that Remus dared to speak to her about new years eve. She looked down at her knuckles that were bright red, bloody and sore. 

"Shit, Morrigan," Owen said watching as she inspected her hand, "What the hell happened?" 

"I think I broke Remus's nose," she replied as she nursed her hand feeling the throbbing pain intensify, "actually, I'm sure I broke his nose." 

He walked behind the bar and grabbed the first aid kit that was behind the countertop. He pulled out gauze and rubbing alcohol. "Let's clean you up first and then you can tell me why you broke Remus's nose." 

"There's not much to- Shit! That hurts!" She cried as he poured the alcohol on her split knuckles. 

He held her hand gently in his as he dabbed at the wounds trying to discern her blood from Remus's. "You were saying?" 

She did her best not to hiss in pain as he gently wrapped her hand, "We got into it before a meeting, I left to come here and halfway down the road I felt someone grab me quite roughly. I had no idea it was him, I just threw myself around and punched." 

Owen raised a brow not entirely believing her tale, "You really had no idea?" 

"If I did I would've punched harder." 

--------

Remus walked back into Grimmauld Place holding his face in his hands, his nose gushing with blood. As he walked into the kitchen Sirius grabbed him holding him steady, "What the hell happened Remus?" 

"Your girlfriend has a hell of a right hook Pads," Remus said through the hand holding his nose. 

"She did that?" Sirius asked slightly shocked. 

"Yes, do you mind fixing it?" Remus cried. 

Sirius fumbled with his wand casting the enchantment to fix his broken bone. "Sorry, mate." 

"Shit," Remus hissed noticing most of the pain had now subsided but the blood was still coating his hands and clothes. 

"Why did Morrigan break your nose?" He enquired looking at his friend worried. It was bad enough he was fighting on and off with Morrigan, but now Remus was doing so as well. 

Remus sighed, "It's not entirely her fault. I shouldn't have grabbed her so roughly, but she wouldn't stop." 

Sirius stared at Remus, "She punched you because you startled her, fine. But what happened between the two of you before that? She looked like she couldn't stand to be in the same room as you." 

"We had a disagreement on new years eve, I'm sure she'll get over it soon." Remus assured him trying to downplay the situation. 

"I doubt it," Sirius said, "Remember when you told me that Hufflepuffs are really fierce about their loyalty? If you questioned that I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to break your face." 

"Oh she did Pads," Remus huffed, "in fact she told me if she had known that it was me, she would have punched harder." 

Sirius tried to hold back his laugh as he imagined Morrigan throwing a punch at Remus. Seeing his disapproving look he sent him a smile, "Sorry Moony, it's just- my girlfriend beat you up." 

"Mature as ever," Remus rolled his eyes. 

"So what happened," Sirius pressed. 

"She already hates me so I might as well explain," he said. So he did, Remus sat Sirius down and recounted the entire story honestly and even though he felt guilty Sirius did partially agree with Remus. He also partially agreed with Morrigan.