Chapter 12: Feeling Power

After regaining my powers, I was able to determine how I can control a small portion of my power. I may not be able to create a way home yet, but I can feel where my power is now, and I can train with it. Soon enough, I am going to be able to return home, with everyone by my side. Kira is going to be very happy to see me. 16M is going to be relieved that he is not going to have to lead the group for much longer. I am hoping that I can figure out how to use that power as soon as I can. We did not leave the present at a good time, and who knows where the other half of our group is. Did they stay behind in the hopes of me returning? Or did they choose to believe that we all died in the explosion, and are continuing through Europe? My guess is on the latter. But their future will depend on how soon I am able to reunite with them. Even if Ismilda's forces were defeated in that battle near the cabin, there would still be secondary groups not too far away from the site. Obtaining the correct power as quickly as possible will be the best course of action, but the trouble is how I am going to uncover this apparent power that could help me get home. It took a significant amount of power, and the act of me absorbing the explosion, for that power to activate. I will need a large open field for the proper testing I require, to be conducted effectively. But due to the lingering presence of the enemy barbarians, we have decided to head further south, in order to make some distance between us, and the enemy forces. The villages around Rome will soon be raided, and we are arguing as to whether or not we should step in to help. I am torn on the decision, since our group could be in really big trouble back in the present. But there are also a lot of people here who need help. If the barbarian horde turns back within the next day or two, we should be able to return home much faster. I am standing with Halfar and 11O, who are the most vocal against defending the villages. Around us, Alice, Merimo and Seive stand in silence. Meanwhile, Dionus and Camilla are pleading for us to help the defenceless peasants. 11O shakes his head to Camilla, refusing to move towards the villages, yet again.

"we did all we could when the city was being besieged. We can not fight any longer. We have already given everything we have to protect the people of the city, and we failed. If we were to swoop in and try to fight the numerous raiding parties, we would be defeated" Camilla and Dionus are looking very frustrated at this point. I wish that I could just simply go in and fight myself, but my energy has been nearly depleted. If we were going to step in and help anyone, it would only be limited to 11O and my two best friends. I am afraid that we can not risk the lives of those we care about the most, just to save those who would die anyway. Camilla turns her whole body around and looks towards the large pillar of smoke rising from the city she once called her home.

"even when all of you fought and defended my home, it still was not enough to prevent the city from being razed" the destruction of Rome was an old tale from ancient history classes. Most of the historical records from the time were destroyed when the fracturing occurred. Camilla continues, "so is there really nothing you can do to make up for that failure?" 11O and Halfar veer their heads away and make silent growls. I know that they have done everything they can, more than what should be expected of them. I push myself up onto my feet, with my legs almost collapsing underneath me. Everyone looks to me in surprise, with no one able to properly register my sudden movement.

"I will go and fight to defend those people. I will do it alone" 11O and Halfar rush up to me, eager to dissuade me from going on a suicide mission. 11O waves his hands at me, from side to side.

"17C-" this again?

"11O, I would much prefer if you call me by my actual name; Valian, from now on. I feel that we are close enough for that" 11O's lips curl up into a smile, but his face is still showing a troubled expression everywhere else. He shakes his head to me.

"Valian. Going into such a dangerous situation will surely result in your demise. None of us want you to die, in-fact, it would be quite the opposite" alongside 11O, Halfar steps in.