Desmond 1: The Helicopter That Fled

Sam and I lost track of the group that we were following. But we heard some news from a town not too far from us, so we are heading there to investigate the scene to see if it is related to our case in any way. It was a long walk back to our car, which had not been discovered by any of the guards. After a full day of walking around, we are finally driving towards the next town. I turn to Sam, who is sitting in the passenger seat, eating his breakfast.

"what happened at the scene again?" Sam gulps down some of his jet-black coffee and turns to me, while putting down the news paper which was printed a few days ago.

"the story states that some people heard a mad man screaming out the front of their neighbour's house, so they went to investigate. They found some blood at the scene, while the house in-front of the scene appeared to be completely open, devoid of all life, and with one room looted. The local police have no idea what to make of it, so now we are going to see what we can find out" Sam takes a big bite out of his doughnut before he raises the paper back up to read.

"from what we have seen in the last few days, I would say that the incident we are going to see, has a lot to do with what is happening at that facility" Sam nods to me, and takes a sip of his coffee. I turn my attention back towards the empty road. Since Ismilda took power and formed the Union, there has been less activity on the road, with most traffic being replaced by military vehicles and thousands of trucks. I am starting to get slightly bothered by the amount of wolves in the sheep's paddock. Like an ominous omen, the days are becoming darker as Ismilda continues to stay in power. One day, the darkness will be too much for everyone, and Ismilda will be defeated by all those who would stand against her. It will eventually become too much for her, and she will be ultimately destroyed, and her regime will crumble. I know for certain that a lot of people in the Union feel this way. Once a few prominent people come out and declare their distaste for Ismilda as leader, everyone else will join up behind them. Ismilda and her regime will only be a temporary ruling party, so waiting it out would not be such a bad idea. Unfortunately for us though, we have a case which will eventually fall under the eyes of Ismilda and her regime. We are destined to eventually come across a place where the regime's forces will be waiting for us. It will happen eventually, so we should be prepared for when that happens. Sam looks up from the news paper and turns to me.

"you're thinking about the regime again, aren't you?" I nod to Sam, who is reading my mind. We have been partners for a long time, and we have been on many cases together, so he would know what is currently going through my mind. I turn to Sam in response.

"yeah. I am concerned with how long we have until we run into the regime. The rate of which the Union is spreading, is concerning" Sam balances his coffee cup mug as we drive over some speed bumps, preventing any of the liquid from spilling. He looks back at the road that we have already passed over.

"there is indeed a great concern for the Union's spread and the fact that Ismilda appears to be a warmonger. A lot of the Union's neighbouring countries would be worrying at this point. I just read about a new non-aggression pact that has been signed between the Scandinavian Union and the Teutonic Order. Due to Ismilda's actions and overall visible traits, I would say that the ministers and members of government do not agree with the regime's ambitions. I would say that in the event of an unfavourable war, the many government officials would declare the regime to be illegitimate, therefore justifying a civil war to depose the ruling regime. I can see a very destructive war coming. Ismilda's regime has some hidden secret forces too, so the war is not going to end with the civil war. Even if the Scandinavian people stand against her, she will have her own loyalist forces who will fight for her until the bitter end. The war is going to last for a long time if that happens" That is a conflict which I am not looking forward to. I do not want to think about which will come first, whether that be the war, or us running into Ismilda's soldiers. If a war does come, there would also be those who are as powerful as Ismilda's forces.