Lothar 1: Vertical Watering

The invasion of Denmark was a chaotic mess for us. We had only just picked up the last family when we reached the border. Seeing the fleet of the Union in the water was a frightening sight. We only passed the border into Germany a few hours ago, but we still have far to go before we are out of Ismilda's reach. We are now moving through Central Germany, near the border of Toulouse. Germany lost most of it's land after the end of the Great War. Now Germany is just a thin strip of land that stretches from Denmark to Austria. Germany would have collapsed, if they had not made the most important innovation in farming since the tractor. It is a type of structure which we are passing by now. Erin looks up into the sky and points to the towering structure.

"wow, look at the size of that thing!" we all look upon the wonder with awe. We are passing one of the Spiral Gardens. One of the first Spiral Gardens that were built in Germany in 1945, are right in-front of us. The Spiral Gardens are a winding path of soil which is held together by concrete. The water is poured onto the very top of the tower, and the water moves all the way down the spiral until it leaks out from the bottom. The soil is sandy, so he most produced foods include Potatoes, Corn and Strawberries. The good thing about the Spiral Gardens, is that it takes up minimal space, while also adding plenty of space for more food to grow. This has of course shifted the average person's diet to more of plants, fruits and vegetables. Meat is seen as a premium meal. I have only had meat on the occasion, so it is something that I love to eat. As we pass by the Spiral Garden, more start to emerge from behind it, revealing a large field full of spiralling towers. Even though our focus is centred on the top of the towers, the fields around the bases are green enough to take our attention away from the towers. The land around us screams of prosperity. The blue sky compliments the green fields around us. We can see the wind blowing across the fields. Everyone is looking upon the wonders with awe. Erin, who was the first of us to see the spirals, is stunned by how large the structures are. Miranda walks up to the window beside me and looks up to the top of the towering garden, where the birds fly.

"Greece may be one of the most populated places in the world, but Germany was the first country to construct those things. Germany is now as populated as the Papal State. It is amazing that a country in ruins, was able to make such an amazing innovation" the aftermath of the Great War left most of the defeated nations in ruins. Even though most of the defeated empires managed to maintain their integrity, the people of the defeated nations suffered. Due to that, there are many hostile feelings between each nation. The fact that Germany was able to recover so quickly means that they have already started rearming by now. Emily walks up to the window on my other side and places her hand on the glass.

"these Spiral Gardens would have increased Germany's manpower and economy significantly. Their surplus of food would lead to a population boom, which would then lead to an increase in military power and mass industrial expansion. If Ismilda declares war on Germany, it will be a war of complete devastation and mass casualties" Emily is thinking along the same lines that I am. I can see a war of utter annihilation ahead of Germany, but a war resulting in the destruction of the Scandinavian Union is almost guaranteed. If we can get away from Ismilda's agents, we should be able to avoid the dangers that desperate agents would pose to us. I look over to Emily.

"I am afraid of the possibility of stray agents who would be left behind after the fall of the Union. If we can get to Toulouse and see if Bengelon is worth our trust, we might be able to stay ahead of Ismilda's agents" if we can find peace, we might be able to finally be free of the stress that has taken hold of us. I would be so happy if we could all just forget about all of this and settle down. But unfortunately, Ismilda does not tolerate disobedience. Emily makes an uneasy face to my words.

"we will run into them eventually. We need to be ready for when that happens" Emily is right. Our battle against Ismilda's agents is inevitable. Our main priority right now is to reach Toulouse. We will be able to face Ismilda's agents without worrying about any of our vulnerable group members. But even then, we are still going to have many troubles with fighting the agents. The agents are specialised against kids with supernatural powers, so we would barely stand a chance against the agents. As Emily makes an uncertain groan, Thaniel walks up behind me and places his hand on my shoulder.