Eddie Birdlace x Ftm!reader

A/n: This was written for  @Coffee-In-A-IV. I hope you like it because I liked writting it a lot!

(Y/n's POV)

I walked into the back door of the bar, grabbed my card, and punched it.

"You're late!" My boss called from the kitchen.

"I know, I'm sorry! I'll stay late." I replied and put on my apron.

"You better!"

I rolled my eyes and made my way out to the bar. Looking around the bar room, I see about fifty Marines all dressed up in their fatigues. I self-consciously pressed on my chest, willing it to be flatter, just for tonight.

"Hey man, I'll take a Miller beer if you got it!" A voice said from behind me.

I turned around and was met with a kind face. He seemed different, like, softer somehow than the rest of the men surrounding him.

"Um, yeah! A bottle, or glass?" I asked.

"Bottle if you don't mind." He replied.

"You got it! That'll be eighty cents please." I said and slid him the bottle. "So, what is with the hundred and first battalion raiding my bar?"

"Oh, ugh, we are all shipping out tomorrow! Headed for Vietnam first thing in the morning!"

"Hm, fun," I replied sarcastically.

"Why aren't you enlisted?"

I tensed slightly.

"Medical complications." "Ah, that's too bad. Flat-footed or something?"

"Medical. Complications." I replied again, a bit of a bite in my voice.

"Okay, sorry for asking."

An awkward silence fell between us.

"Well, um, my name is (Y/n), (Y/n)(Y/l/n)." I said, holding out my hand to shake.

He takes it.

"I'm Eddie Birdlace!"

"Nice to meet ya, Eddie."

"Same to you."

I was quickly called away by my boss to serve food orders but returned to talk while I cleaned glasses.

"So Eddie, what is a guy like you doing out here tonight? Aside from a last hoorah before possible death?"

"Wow, you sure have a way with words." He replied. His smile was soft but sincere. I hate to admit it, but I began to fall for him. I mean, he is handsome and funny...

(Eddie's POV)

I was sitting with Boland and Bernstein at a table in the corner of the bar. We were joking around when we got an idea.

"How about we do a dogfight?" Boland suggested.

I shrugged, not too interested in the proposition.

"Yeah! Let's do it! I sure could use a few extra bucks before we ship out." Bernstein replied.

"Are you in Birdlace or not?" Boland asked.

"Sure, why not?" I replied.

"Okay boys, you know the rules, the man with the ugliest date at the end of the night wins!" Boland said. He then chugged his beer and left the table.

"Good luck Birdlace," Bernstein said, patting me on the back.

I sighed and looked around the bar. I was hoping to be able to find someone here, but alas, the place was filled with Marines.