John Watson x Male!reader

(John's POV)

"Hey (Y/n)! Sherlock and I are home." I should as I enter the room. I strip off my coat then start to look around the apartment.

"That was weird, he didn't respond," I said under my breath then turned to look at Sherlock. He had already taken up residence in his chair, and thus mind-palace so he wasn't gonna be much help.

I looked through the apartment and finally got to our bedroom at the end of the hall. I looked in quietly so as not to disturb him. He was sleeping peacefully in the bed. His headphones were in so he must have been really tired to fall asleep to his music. I closed the door behind me and walked away quietly. It was rare he ever got this much sleep, usually cases kept him pretty awake.

He was a detective at Scotland Yard and often worked with Sherlock and I. That is how we met.

He was very stoic while examining the body so I thought he was a seasoned detective. Turns out it was his first case and he held his lunch down long enough to get to a bin outside. I asked him if he was okay, he said yeah and we talked for a bit. As usual, Sherlock left without me, and he offered to drop me off before he went back to the station. He gave me his phone number before I left and the rest is history.

I walked into the kitchen and decided to make some dinner. Since the only thing in the fridge was eggs, cheese, and milk I decided to make omelets. I mean, I couldn't make anything with the human head that was just chillin' in there.

I reminded myself to yell at Sherlock when he came out of his mind-palace.

Once I finished I heard (Y/n) get out of bed and walk down the hallways. I could tell he was still tired by how heavy his footfalls were.

He came and sat down at the table. He rested his head in his hand and nearly dozed off again.

"(Y/n), come on babe, you have to wake up. Gotta eat sometime." I said, shaking his shoulder.

"Okay, okay, but after this, I have to go in again." He said, starting to eat quickly.

"But you just got off four hours ago."

"I know, I know, but it looks like we have a serial killer on our hands so I have to go in."

"No, you don't! Your well-being is much more important than a job. Let Greg take care of it." I said sitting across from him.

"I can't. Greg is working on the case you and Sherlock opened. Donovan is working on a body found in the river, and everyone else is out on holiday." He said.

"(Y/n), don't make me call in again."

"John, you promised to stop doing that. Plus crime doesn't sleep, so I have to be on call, you know that as well as I do." He said, getting up and putting his plate in the sink.

I got up and came up next to him.

"Come on, you can't keep grinding yourself down like this. You have gotten maybe eight hours of sleep over the past five days, including today. I hate watching you do this."

He turned and looked at me. His 'everything is gonna be okay' smile split his lip.

"I'll be home before you know it." He said, then kissed me gently and was gone.

I watched him from the window as he hailed a cab and was off into the twilight of the evening.

By the time he got home, it was 1:37. He was gone for about five and a half hours.

I shot up off the sofa to greet him once he opened the door.

He looked like death.

"(Y/n)! Are you okay?" I asked as I helped him pull his jacket off.

"It was a bad one, John. Even for me, this is a bad one."

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, guiding him to the bathroom for a shower.

He shook his head and pulled me into a hug.

"Promise me you'll be careful won't you?" He whispered into my ear.

"I promise, I'll be careful. But why?"

He just kissed my cheek and walked into the bathroom.

The whole time he was in the shower I searched online for any hint of what case he was working on. Then a news notification popped-up. It fit the bill, the time was right, (Y/n)'s brief description seemed to fit too.

Someone was killing veterans. Specifically, those who served in Iraq, or Afghanistan. I started to read the details but I had to shut the laptop. My hands were shaking as I put the laptop back and plugged it in.

Just as I was sitting back down (Y/n)'s shower stopped. He walked into our room searching for clothes.

"I found the case you were on, on the news," I said as he changed.

"Did you read what they did to those men?" He asked, staring at the ground.

"I-I couldn't," I admitted.

"Be careful John. Watch your back until we catch this person." He said.

I didn't respond and watched him go and hang his towel back up.

He walked in and slid onto the bed next to me.

"I promise to tell you everything after we catch the guy." He said and leaned his head on my shoulder.

Now it was my turn to nod. It scared me, that it scared him. It's not like he's a new detective anymore, he's seen horrible things, and for him to be this shaken up was unusual.

Eventually, we silently agreed to go to bed. And that was the end of it. Until he had to go to work tomorrow that is.

___________________________
A/n: #19! I can write a part two if someone wants, but for now, I'm gonna leave this as a one-shot. Hope you enjoy it though!