Twelfth day of Christmas (Mickey Dolenz x ftm!reader)

(Y/n's POV)

It was a cold Christmas eve in Los Angeles. I was walking down the sidewalk on the way to my favorite bar, Oil Can Harry's on Ventura Boulevard. This is one of the only bars that welcomed gay people in the whole city. And well, let's just say I needed a drink with people like me.

My family had kicked me out late last summer when they found out I was more than friends with the pastor's son. So, instead of begging for their forgiveness and repenting and all that bullshit, I came out here to L.A.

Yeah, it hasn't been easy at all, but at least I have a bit more freedom than I did before. Also, I have a new family to celebrate the holidays this year. I invited them all over tomorrow for a big meal and some trading of gifts, but tonight, I was feeling a bit lonely.

I opened the door to the bar and walked into the small bar room. The faint sounds of Christmas music floating through the place. Finally, I was around my people, gays, and straights alike, but tonight we all had something in common. We were alone on Christmas eve.

I looked around the room and a man in a floral jacket caught my eye. I felt like I recognized him but I couldn't say from where. I walked over to the bar and took a seat next to him. He looked up at me with a smile and a nod.

"Hello, I'm (Y/n), I don't mean to intrude but I quite like your jacket," I said, feeling the familiar rock of anxiety in my stomach.

"Well, I'm Mickey, and thank you, it's from Macy's. Nothing too fancy." He admitted with a chuckle.

"Forgive me, but I think I recognize you," I said a bit bluntly.

"How does this sound? 'Hey hey we're the Monkees!'" He sang and gave me jazz hands.

"Oh! I should have known! Mickey Dolenz." I said a bit surprised that someone as famous as him would be here.

"Yep, you got it." He said with a half-hearted smile.

"If you don't mind me asking yet another personal question, what are you doing at a place like this? Why aren't you at Whisky A Go-Go or hell, The Body Shop?" I asked as the bartender got me my regular.

"Ah well, you know. Those places are a bit busy and not really my style." He said knowingly. The comment went right over my head.

"Not your style? I'd love to be able to get into one of those places! I mean, forgive me for assuming, but those places seem exactly like your style." I said, still a bit confused.

At this, he sat up a little bit and ran a hand through his hair.

"Let me put it this way. Those places don't offer what I am looking for." He said again cryptically.

"I figured the liquor there would be better there than here. But what do I know?" I commented with a shrug. I took a swing from my drink and leaned back on the stool a bit.

"Fine, I'll be blunt. I don't particularly like women, I prefer men." He said flatly.

"Oh shit, ah, sorry! I'm an idiot." I replied with embarrassment washing over me.

"No, it's okay. Most people don't think a famous T.v. star could ever be gay you know?" He said relaxing a bit more.

"That's very true," I said, the conversation falling into a lull. "I mean, I more or less understand, my parents, kicked me out when they found out."

"Wait, you're gay too?" He questioned, a bit surprised.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Well then yes you are an idiot." He said with a concerned smile. "How do you take guys home if you are this oblivious."