THE BEWITCHED ROOM

"I am closing in for today. The river is getting harsh and and i see an uptide coming!", said the helmsmen as he attempted to tie his small boat to the dock, the waves were rebellious and his light vessel didn't want to be tethered.

"I will pay you anything !", said a voice from above.

The helmsmen let go of the cleat and looked up. There standing infront of him was a hooded figure. The high pitched voice told him that she was a women. But her face was completely obscured by the hood and a loose torn cloak hung all over her body. The cloak was dirty and poorly helmed.
The helmsmen did not believe that she could pay him anything. But then again one can never know! All these years he had taken different mages to and fro the banks of the Voverine river and had seen a lot of rich traders dressing up poorly to escape the attention of King Raheen's guards.

The helmsmen looked at her from tip to toe slowly taking in the shrewd appearance.
"Its not about the money!", he spoke "You look at the sky.. Its pitch black in colour, a storm is brewing . It's dangerous to travel in a storm. The waves gets out of control and the boat Capsizes", he said pointing above towards the dark clouds.

"Then don't come with me, i will oar it myself.", said the women in defiance, "How much do you need ? 1000 drachamas?", asked the women.

The helmsman's jaw dropped in shock. 1000 drachmas was more than what he earned in an year., "I ..Uh.. Ah..!", he stammered not knowing what to say

"2000 drachmas!" asked the women "Or lets say i pay you 10,000 drachamas now!", said she and pulled out a small bag from her sleeves. She shook it with her hands and the pouch jingled with money.

The helmsmen eyes widened at the jingle of the coins and greed swept within his heart. He looked at his boat and then back at the money bag. He loved his boat, but he doubted it would ever earn him 10,000 drachmas. 10,000 drachmas would be more than enough to secure a permanent home for him and his kids. Hell! He could even start a small shop somewhere in the city.
Anything could be better than this. He rowed endlessly for hours , toiling like an animal and barely made enough money to survive.

"Done,!", said he . "But be careful. A huge storm is coming, you maybe an expert mage but even you cannot control the power of mother nature", he warned.

The women shook her head, "Don't you worry about me. Just keep this pouch and shut your mouth. Not a word to anybody in the city!", said she and tossed the pouch towards the helmsmen.

He nodded quickly and caught the pouch in mid air. He hurriedly opened the pouch and his eyes gleamed with greed on the sight of the shining golden drachmas.

After being satisfied with the payment, the helmsman got off his canoe.
"By the way, where are you venturing to? Its late ! All the cities along the Voverine river have closed their gates"

"Don't worry. My destination is not a city, rather i intend to go to a place, where this river originated. The Sea of Death, whispered the hooded women .

The helmsman's jaw dropped in shock, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? THE SEA OF DEATH ? AT THIS HOUR?", he exclaimed "You are not gonna come out of this alive " he spoke softly, shaking his head.
The helmsman sighed and then left the banks for her safety wasn't his concern. His pockets were full of gold and he hoped to never see these solemn docks again.

"I hope not!", said Diana to herself as she uncovered her hood, after the helmsman left. She had to reach the sea of death before it was too late and meet the masters. Otherwise things might go out of hand"

She unhinged all the dock lines of the canoe and took the oars in her hand. Thunder roared in the distance and the raindrops started falling down. As far as her eyes roamed, Diana only saw turbulent waves crashing with each other underneath a scary pitch black sky.