B R O T H E R

May 2nd 1994
Song for this chapter: Je te laisserai des mots
📍The Black lake

Astrid grabbed the small picture frame off her night stand—quietly going down the dorm stairs and out to the black lake

She spread a small picnic sheet by the water—one with blue bell flowers printed all over it—underneath a shady area where the tall oak tree stood.

Pulling objects out from her large straw bag and neatly placing them onto the sheet, a bundle of the lavender and daisies that grew around the forests edges during spring and a folded card she had made herself. She propped up a framed photo on the sheet—showing the boy in it the marvellous view before her, one he had often spoke of.

The sound of water was as gentle as could be, no crashing waves or cracking of ice Winter always brought. It was peaceful—aside from the singing birds and the light winds gliding over the water, nothing was heard.

Soft music drifted in one of her ears—the other bud of her earphones lay by the photo, for him too hear as well.

In the very middle stood a crooked two layered cake, not so special—poorly iced and terribly decorated with chocolate frosting and whole strawberries messily crowding the top of the tilting cake. Chocolate was his favourite—he would like it she thought he would think it good enough, everything she did was good enough for him. Perhaps even more than enough.

Since the first year she had arrived to Hogwarts, she would slip away on the second of May and pour all her sorrows out to the Black lake—too be washed away by the gentle waves.

She would stay for as long as she knew she could—even brushed her hair and placed a bow neatly in it for the occasion. Sitting and watching the sun fully rise above the castle with him. Knowing she would receive no post at all on this warm yet cool day of May. She would send none either, for she had no one to send anything special too, not anymore.

It was not the bright rays of the sun warming her cheeks or blinding her hazel eyes that would push her to hurry up and get back into the castle—preparing for a day of classes.

But a boy who embodied the sun and nothing less, his bright smile warming her cold heart and his gaze, soft and pitiful, razor sharp to her own eye.

Cedric Diggory would come looking for her—stumbling upon her by the lake and would draw a breath before he ever approached the back turned too him. His hands intertwined in nervousness and the breaking of his own heart dim before her broken heart. It was May second, his heart felt half empty on this day, perhaps one day he would mourn with her. One day the facade would come to a rest and he would sit by her side, just as broken down and cuss the boy—who's light he absorbed—for leaving them.

The day had not come in the last two years and nor was it this day—but she was sure it would come, for even a badger could fall weak.

She would startle greatly at his presence but never say anything, silently begging for him to allow her to remain broken for a minute to two longer before her own facade took over. And what for, she would return too her dorm before her friends woke but they still knew—they always knew.