Chapter 38

Portraying a constant poker face has its advantage.

I do not portray emotions on my face. Not that I don't know how to. I know, I think. But I have never really expressed it. Because I was not allowed to. I was taught to always keep my emotions in check and present a poker face. Not smiling widely yet not defensive. A rather creepy small smile. Creepy because I was around 6 or 7, I think when I first made that face and people asked a child why she is smiling like that. But I just kept on saying, 'never show any emotions. They are bad.' Almost bad-mouthed my father, except I didn't say his name.

Now it is a good thing because it secured many business deals and thus the prom is now elegant, extravagant and the tickets are not that costly anymore either. We also have a band. Made a deal with a nearby limo service to rent us limos for our prom. People would pay but less and instead they can advertise at our venue. So, we have advertisements and that made us get the hotel banquet the prom committee wanted. I don't remember the name of the hotel, but it has a rather uncommon name, and it is big, at least the banquet hall is big. And as usual almost everyone got themselves a room here. We all booked rooms as well. Is it separate rooms or just a suite I do not know.

The days after we joined the committee were hectic. Charlie and I soon realized that the calculations for the budget was wrong. Correcting that made them cry in frustration as they were short of the amount, they needed to pull it off. Then the venue price increased, the band cancelled, I think. And they were yet to ask from businesses around. And that is where I came in. I had no idea I could but somehow by some miracle I did. We got enough to book a different venue one they wanted but were not able to because of the money. Then everything started to fall into place. Maybe not but I was not that involved except the overall stuffs. Charlie and I saw the money factor, then we gave them the idea to reduce the price of the tickets and then the limo service deal came through. Thus, we have limos for all of us. Only, thing a group of like 8 to 10 people has to take one limo. Well, we don't mind considering we have that many people in our friend group.

It is senior prom, so not all of my friends are going today. Some decided to work today like June and Jake. They will be managing the tickets so the prom committee people can enjoy. Alice and Jeffrey asked to be in the coat room. That way they are at the place but not really there. Only Silver and Danny are not helping. Charlie. Well, I do not know. Seeing as she failed to mention this simple tidbit of information to me. I am going with Diane of course. She asked me in a cute way not that I was never going to say no. But the way she asked was so cute.

So, Diane prepared a cheer. They performed it one day as I was watching them practice before the last game. But that was not the day she asked. No, she asked on the game day. That cheer was a way to I guess prepare me for what to come. Seeing as those were the words to the cheer. Then on the day of the game at half time. They cheered again, and some of our basketball guys came on the court to shoot. Every time they shoot a basket a letter popped in the red light. Final sentence was, 'would you go to the prom with me?' Then all of the cheerleaders put a torchlight on Diane to indicate she is asking as if I thought someone else would. I immediately said yes. She dared me to shoot a basket. So, I did. On the right side one. I did after like fifth try and then the red light read yes. She then told me the left one had no set up.

I was super excited to tell Charlie about it. But she was there that day and saw the whole thing. I told her still just like I told all of my friends who were present there as well. Along with Tori and Liz. I was too excited. I even called and told the Millers. It was all good till then. It changed again when I asked Charlie if she is coming to prom or not. That is when she became silent again. At least she did not run this time. That ought to mean something, right? Probably it does, seeing as this is Charlie, who was once my best friend. Now? I think we are barely even friends.