Chapter 1

Is it weird that I am standing at the airport waiting for my sister who I do not think I can even recognize anymore?

Yes. My sister, Tori, the same sister who left me. Left home when I was just 4 years old. But then she never called me. Or came to visit me. She said she would call. But she did not. She just vanished. Guess I was not that important to her after all. I still have no clue why she left though. But the reason why I am at the airport waiting for her is totally different.

You see in my family, apparently being 16 is rough. Tori left home for whatever reason when she was 16. And now I had to leave home, my hometown too. And I am also 16. But the reason I have to leave is simple. It is sad. Pretty sad reason. But I cannot cry anymore. In case you are wondering. The reason is because my parents were in an accident and they died. And I am now coming to live with my sister who I have not seen for 12 years. Yeah, that's right. I doubt she would even recognize me.

The last few days are a blur. One minute my life was perfect. I mean as perfect as it can be. Because I never told anyone this. None of my friends knows. I still miss my sister. Although my parents pretty much behaved as if I am their only daughter. I remember my sister. It's weird. I tried to hate her. But I just couldn't. It's just like the fact that she vanished and never even contacted me made me question it more. Also, weird thing that happened after she left. My mom was home at nights. Dad stopped drinking. Yeah, I know now he used to drink hence the bad smell. He was not angry either. They were all happy. Almost as if they became happy the moment Tori left us. Well, everyone except me of course.

I was sad at first, then angry. Then I started pretending. But no matter how much I pretended it always bugged me. I started remembering things as well. From that day to the previous night. The week before as well. The arguments still did not make sense to me. But I remember them now more than ever. This started after my boyfriend came over. He invited my friends as well. And we sort of had a party. Not a huge one. But a smaller one. Then someone found a picture of Tori. I have not seen her pictures in our house in so long that it took me a minute to realize who it was.

That, that is what brought back my memories. Of course, I hid it from my friends. My friends who have no idea I even had a sister wanted to know who it was. I just said I do not know. I know my parents made up a story and most of my friends in high school has no idea. Well, no one does except our relatives. Whenever we had a family function, I wished Tori would just show up. But she never did. It's foolish right waiting for your sister to just show up? But I am a fool for believing Tori's promise and holding onto to it for all these years. I still have her locket. I now wear it around my neck.

It depends on the day if I wear it or have it in my pocket. I never let my mom or dad find it. That night after the party Aaron, my boyfriend almost found it. But I hid it again and somehow, he forgot it. It obviously helped that he was drunk. But something about this locket, that I always protect it. I keep it with me always. Yet, I seldom wear it. Even if I wear it, I hide it. So that no one can ever see it. It is private only for me.

Few days ago, I was at a party. I am a cheerleader. Or I was I guess in my last school. I was late and it was past my curfew. So, I was scared to go home. I tiptoed inside. And hoped I did not wake up either of my parents. I did not want to get grounded. School was about to start, and I couldn't be grounded the first week of school. This is my junior year. And I was trying to go for the head cheerleader position. I had plans for my junior year. But now they are all gone.

So, that night when I returned. I noticed the house was extremely dark. And there was no sound. I was happy that my parents were out, and I would not be grounded. I went to my room. I was a bit intoxicated as well. I was about to go to sleep, when the doorbell rang. I was scared because it was almost 1 am. Who rings doorbell at 1 in the morning? I tiptoed downstairs and tried to see who it was. I noticed from my window that there were cop cars in front. That was weird and so I opened the door. I saw two officers looking at me sadly. Why are they looking at me sadly?