137

Trigger warning for abuse, blood, and voilence. 

Carter's POV

I stare down at my nails while every one finishes eating. I know I said I wanted to wear the nails to lunch but I didn't think that through.

When Kyle and his friends showed up I tried to let Jax back up front but when I pulled away Jax pushed me back up.

I will never hear the end of it from Kyle if he finds out I let Ryder do this but he's not stupid enough to say something to you. He said, making me sigh as I settle back up front.

"I like your nails," Boyd said almost as soon as he sat down. I managed to mumble out a thanks as I attempted to hide my blush with Callum's hoodie.

"I'm surprised Jax let you do it," Kyle huffed out as he leaned into Kellan but I only shrug. I still didn't really like any of them other than Boyd and his boyfriend. Well, Jordan and Matthew were all right but they were both only here for Jax.

"I think you would look good with painted nails," Kellan said as he held up Kyle's hand.

"If you ever see me with colored nails go ahead and shoot me because I've lost my mind," Kyle said as he pulled his hand away, making Kellan pout.

I really didn't want to be here at this point but neither did Jax so as the protector I pushed aside everything as I grabbed Ryder's hand under the table. He gave me a soft smile as he pulled me into him, which felt a little weird since Jax's body was a good bit taller than him.

"Are you okay," he whispered as his hands slipped under Callum's hoodie as his arms tightened around me.

I mean I wasn't hurt and I wasn't about to have a panic attack or anything so I guess I was okay.

I give Ryder a small nod as I lean further into him. This was actually a lot more comfortable than I thought it would be.

Ryder and I stayed like that until Callum and Liam were finally finished. I weight lifted off my shoulders when Callum stood up before looking down at me.

"We have school in the morning so we should probably get going. Do you want to walk or do I need to carry you," he asked as he leaned down and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"That's a pretty stupid question," I mumbled out as I reached up for him, my arms going around his neck before he has a chance to say anything else. He only gave a small chuckle as his hands wrapped around my waist as he pulled me to his chest while my legs wrapped around his.

"Well now I want to be carried," Ryder huffed as he looked over to Liam. Liam rolled his eyes playfully as he opened his arms.

"Well come here then you big baby."

"Your love makes me sick," Jordan groaned out as Callum walked us towards the door.

"Do you want to be carried back to the cabin too," Mathew asked with a teasing smirk, making Jordan roll his eyes as he all but shoved him off the chair.

"You were acting kind of weird," Callum said after we were back at the cabin. "Are you okay?" I only nod against his chest as he settles us down into Jax's side of the bed.

"I still don't like his friends," I admit with a small frown. "I've fought them too many times and I'm out of practice. If something happens now and we go at it I'm not sure I could win against both Kyle and Kellan."

"But you took on like ten guards that one time," Liam pointed out.

"I was still in practice then," I said with a shrug. "That and I had a good reason to fight an I didn't know them. If we fought now I'm pretty sure Jax would be fighting me to pull my punches so I wouldn't hurt them and I can only fight one of them at a time."

Callum frowned while Ryder looked like he wanted to say something else but choice to drop it for now.

"It's late," Callum, says again after a while. "Are we falling asleep to a movie or are we just sleeping?"

"What is it with you two and stupid questions," Ryder teased. Callum gave him a glare at that and a look I didn't really understand but Ryder seemed to read it loud and clear as his smile slowly drops.

"How about you rephrase that," Liam said with a small scowl.

"Will you go put in a movie please," he asked as he sunk into my chest.

"That sounded much better," Liam praised as he pet Ryder's hair before going to the movie shelf. "Can I pick the movie for once?" Ryder only nods, making Liam smile as puts something in and runs back to the bed and lays his head down on Ryder's chest.

"Can someone please explain to me how we aren't even using a quarter of this bed yet I'm still about to fall of the bed," Callum grumbled. I don't even try to hide my chuckle as I scoot closer to the center of the bed to give him more room.

"You're the ones who out us off center," I point out, "we just laid where you put us." I could tell Cullum was rolling his eyes while the move started to play.

I didn't even bother getting into the movie as my eyes started to fall shut but something felt off.

I could tell I wasn't asleep for long before the images began.

I had fronted as soon as Jax's dad started yelling at the TV. He was watching some sports game he had bet on and by the sound of it, it wasn't going to end very well for him.

I could feel myself tense when he stomped down the fall before flinging the door open.

He stood in the doorway with a scowl and clenched fists as he stared at me while I masked as Jax.

"I thought I told you to go get me more beer yesterday," he seethed as I forced myself to stop shaking.

"You did and if we actually had the money for it I would have gladly got it for you but we don't so you get nothing," I say boredly as I leaned against the headboard. My words only angered him more but this is what Jax would say so I just played along with it.

"You don't get to decide what we can and can't afford," he yelled as he stalked forward. My heart pounded in my chest as I waited for his first hit but I was surprised when it didn't come.

My panic eased only for a moment before his hand wrapped around my throat. My hands clawed at his while he squeezed harder.

Just as my head started to fog up I managed to land a kick to his stomach, making him let go of my neck as he took a few steps back.

His scowl dripped from his face as he became unreadable.

"Get up," he seethed out.

"I sorry," I rushed out as I tried to push farther back into the bad.

"I said, get up." My panic sky rockets as my heart falls to my stomach.

I don't try to get away this time. It would only end up making it worse.

He didn't have to tell me to do the rest. I turn, fall on my knees, and take my shirt off without a word.

It was times like these I wondered why I didn't just leave. I could take care of Jax if we left. We could move to a few states over and start fighting there. It wouldn't be as bad if we were fighting for ourselves. We could get a house and settle down some day. Maybe we could even manage to get married some day.

That dream was shattered the second that fucking belt buckle hit my back.

He would always find me. I could move anywhere in the country and could move often and he would still find me. If this was the punishment for a single kick to the stomach, I didn't want to think about what he would do when he found me.

One hit after another. My blood and sweat mix together as they run down my back before hitting the floor while I kneel there and take it all without a sound.

The soft noise from the TV is the only thing that keeps me grounded until his dad finally stops.

He stalks to the corner without a word as he watches me.

I force myself to get up and walk to the bathroom to grab a towel, only hoping that I wasn't dripping blood throughout the whole house.

I kneel back down as I mop up my blood from the floor until nothing serves as a reminder except for the scars that will be left on my back.

"If you ever do that again," he warns as he begins walking out of the room. "I won't be as easy. Now go get me some god damn beer before I do it again."

Last updated June 17, 2021