96

Carter's POV

I didn't want to have to do this to him. From the moment I appeared, I only wanted to help Jax. At first I was only planning on only helping when he asked for it but after he protected me once, whether he meant to or not, I decided I was done asking him before I did anything. That's the whole reason I was here after all; to protect Jax.

"Carter?" Callum asked as he unwound his arms from my waist and took a few steps back. "Not that I don't like you or anything but I was in the middle of a really important conversation with Jax and we really need to finish it before he gets hurt again."

"I know. I'm here to tell you since he never would." My words caught everyone's attention. Soon enough all three of his boyfriends surrounded me.

Don't tell them anything!

His voice honestly broke me even though I couldn't really hear him. I could still sense the way he was all but begging but I couldn't let him keep doing this to himself.

Liam's eyes study my like normal while Ryder only stared at the still forming bruise on my face.

"Some guards jumped him while you three were away. They took him-,"

My mind blurred for a second meaning Jax figured out how to fight for control.

I blink a few times, trying to get the blurriness to fade before continuing.

They don't need to know everything! Shut the fuck up!

His boyfriends looked at me with nothing but concern in their eyes.

"They made him fight when you were gone. He was supposed to fight last week but he refused to go. We didn't switch last week, the guards jumped him again and punished him for not showing up. I wanted to help him fight back but I knew if I did he wouldn't realize how bad of an arrangement they had."

Stop it!

"When they got done beating him they left him there to freeze until Patrick found him. He went back to them today, that's where he got the bruise from."

I wait for Jax to continue yelling and fighting but nothing came. My mind became clearer than before.

He was done fighting it seemed.

Wish he had done that earlier.

Callum looked enraged as he clenched his jaw. Ryder had tears balancing on the edge of his water line. Liam just looked numb.

"I want to talk to Jax," Callum said, clearly trying to keep his anger under control.

I say nothing as I reach back for Jax but he didn't come forward.

My brows furry as I open my eyes.

"You're still Carter," Liam noted.

"Jax doesn't want to be in control."

"Can't you push him forward like you push him back?"

"I tried. He doesn't want to be here. I can push ahead but I can't push him up front. If I did the body wouldn't have anyone in it until he gave up and came front."

"How long would that take," Ryder asked.

"Depends on how stubborn he's willing to be."

"Days then," Ryder noted.

"Weeks," Liam corrected.

"I'm assuming that I don't need to explain that I can't leave the body without someone in control of it for that long, right?"