70

Jax's POV

Callum kept his promise about bringing me breakfast before heading to English and that was the only reason I wasn't asleep right now.

After Callum left, I had tried to go back to sleep but Patrick only became increasingly more annoying as time went on.

At first it was small things like breathing too loud, then it went on to tapping his foot, then he started pacing, until he was eventually just talking to himself.

"You have got to be the most annoying person I have ever been trapped in a room with," I state while finally opening my eyes and pushing myself up into a sitting position.

"It's not my fault you are so boring," he joked as he sat back down on Ryder's bed. "I'm just trying to keep myself entertained."

I only roll my eyes and look up at the clock hanging by the door. This has been the longest 5 minutes of my life.

"You should eat before it gets too cold anyway," Patrick said as he gestured to the trey Callum left on the bedside table.

I couldn't stop the scowl that crept onto my face as I looked at it.

"I don't eat breakfast," I say, hoping he will buy that considering I told him that when he first bought me here.

"I know you don't, but I was also told that you didn't eat dinner last night."

"I'll be fine until lunch."

Patrick looked like he wanted to fight it but wisely let it go as he looked around the room with a sigh.

"So what do you guys usually do around here?" I only shrug as I lean my head back against the headboard.

"Not much to do. They watch movies a lot but I'm not a movie fan," I say as I nod to Ryder's shelf.

"Then what do you do? You've been here for quite some time now, surely you've found something to spend time on."

"I just sit here most of the time," I admit. "I listen to what they do. Sometimes I draw if I feel like it. I played basketball a few times but I didn't like it."

Patrick frowned as he played with his hands.

"So you've been here for three months and you haven't done almost anything? You know we have a lake right? And a volley ball court? We even have a library."

"I don't like swimming, volley ball is stupid, and I don't read."

"What did you do before you came here?"

"I kicked the shit out of people so my dad could pay rent," I said with a blank expression, which made Patrick's frown deepen.

"You know what I meant. What did you do for fun?"

I had to think about that one. For the past few years I hadn't done anything fun. If I wasn't in a fight, I was training for one, and if I wasn't training I was at school. That was all I did at that point.

The last thing I remember doing before my dad became obsessed with fighting was listening to music. Even when everything happened I still had music.

"Listened to the radio," I say after a while, catching Patrick's attention again. I assume it had been a while considering Patrick seemed to be just as zoned out as I was at that point. "I used to draw a lot more back then too."

Patrick only hummed but I could see the gears in his mind turning as he thought.

The two of us went quiet again as awkwardness slipped into the air. I pretty much avoided looking at Patrick all together while he did the same to me. My hands played with each other as I willed the time to move faster. If I could just make it to lunch I would only have a few more hours alone with Patrick. He might stay for the rest of the day but at least someone else would be in here with us.