86

Jax's POV

Turns out, these guards are a lot faster than the guys on the outside.

I was walking back to the cabin after getting done with my Saturday night session when I felt a familiar presence behind me. Before he even he even touched me I knew who it was but a piece of me died when his hand came to clamp down on my shoulder, keeping me from getting away unless I wanted to make a scene.

The second he touched me, everything in my head was yelling at me to get away and to find Callum but I push that idea down as I turn to face the guard who had kidnapped me last week.

"Can I help you," I asked as I worked on my cold mask but it didn't seem to have any effect on him. He only smiled as he pulled me into his side and began to walk towards the tree line.

"No, but you could have helped a lot last night, Sunshine," he said in a tone that was far too cheery considering what we were about to do.

"I got caught up with a few things," I say as I try to keep my heart rate from getting too high. Even if I were about to die of anxiety, he wouldn't know anything. I refused to let him have that satisfaction.

"And here I thought you were one of the smart ones," he said with a humorless laugh before turning serious again. "You see, when you don't show up, you don't just cost me money, you cost everyone money," he said as he came to a stop in a random part of the woods that I didn't know while three others stood in front of us.

"I warned you, didn't I," he asked with a sigh after a while of silence. He was clearly going for the caring guardian tactic. "I tried to tell you what would happen but you just didn't listen."

"To be fair, it was hard to hear you over the exhaustion." He gave another humorless laugh while on of the guys in front of us cracked his knuckles.

"That's what I like about you kid. Even when you know you have no chance of winning, you're still a smart ass."

"Yea, well it's a talent," I say as my eyes shift over to the three guys again. One had begun to inch forward, putting me on high alert.

"Unfortunately, I'm a man of my word," he said with a sigh as he let go of my shoulder and backed away with amusement shining in his eyes. "Teach him his lesson."

My heart raced as the three hesitantly stalked closer.

The first threw a punch, which I blocked easily while throwing a kick to the face to the one beside him. His jaw popped but he didn't seem to care as he looked back up at me with pure rage in his eyes.

While I stared, the third shot his hand out, making a hard fist collide with my temple.

My head went down while my hands came up to guard my face as I swayed on my feet, just trying to keep my balance. That was going to bruise tonight; it's going to be fun trying to find a way to brush that off.

I longed for familiar fuzzy feeling to come and help me out of this mess but the one time I needed it, there was nothing. I felt more like myself right now than I have in the past 5 years. Figures.

My thoughts were cut off when a kick planted itself into my side.

They go to kick again but I catch their leg before it has the chance to hit me again. My elbow goes to hit his knee, hoping to break it, when another blow lands on the same temple that was just hit.

I have no choice but to let go on the man's leg as I sway again. Black dots invade my vision as I give up on fighting. I clearly wasn't fully here tonight so there was no point in wasting my time here when I could be trying to find anyone to help.