111

Jax's POV

Carter and I have been having a pretty good few weeks. We got on meds, we working on eating, Carter was warming up to Callum, Ryder, and Liam, and we had even managed to have a good Christmas for once. All and all I would consider this to be a very good past few weeks.

I was pretty proud of us to be honest.

But now we were in math and all I wanted to do was die. Carter was trying to keep my company but we both seemed a bit too bored to keep up with what ever we were trying to talk about.

Ryder looked just as bored as I was as he stared at the board blankly while my eyes kept moving from the old man to the clock that sat above his head. I cheered a bit internally every time the big hand moved forward.

"What would our answer be, Mr. Young," the old man said, catching my attention. My eyes moved over to him boredly with a raised eyebrow.

Staring at him made me realize how much I truly hated him, almost purely because he was always rude to me so he kind of deserved my hate. I on the other hand have never done anything to him.

"Uhhhh 5c to the third power plus 9r to the sixth power," I asked as I glanced back the board for only a few seconds. I honestly didn't care if I got it right or wrong but I was fairly sure I was right.

The man looked rather unimpressed before his face turned to look somewhat content.

"Good job," he said before letting his frown return as he looked to the next person who didn't seem to be paying attention. "And if we moved onto the text book equation, number 3, what would that answer be Miss Williams?" The girl looked completely lost as she tried to piece together what he was talking about but I went back to ignoring everything in that class.

Eventually the stupid class ends. My hand found Ryder's immediately before I all but dragged him out of the room.

"That was literally the worse thing I have ever had to sit through," I declared as I marched us to the lunchroom. Ryder laughed as he kept walking, a smile finally on his face after a torturous hour.

"I'm just happy that he picked you and not me. I stopped paying attention after he welcomed us into class."

"I honestly just guessed and hoped for the best," I lie with a chuckle. I had solved that problem a good three times just to keep myself busy. At that point anything was better than sitting there listening to that hag talking.

"Well at least you got it right. I would have died of second hand embarrassment if you got it wrong."

I say nothing as I let go of his hand to open the cafeteria door before ushering Ryder inside.

We had barely gotten to our table before Carter fronted. This had been our routine for the past few days. Ryder and I come to lunch like normal but I don't wait for Callum and Liam to show up before I switch out with Carter so he can go ahead and eat before any of my friend showed up. If there was anything left on the trey by the time my friends showed up, I fronted for Carter and finished what I could.

It had only been a few days but it seemed to work pretty well so far. Andrew seemed to be content with the weight gain at least.

Carter was already half way done by the time Callum and Liam showed up, which was good considering my friends wouldn't be too far behind them anyway.

"How was math," Liam asked when got situated.

"Very boring," Ryder grumbled. "Jax guessed an answer right though."

"Only because he has a good tutor," Carter joked in between bites. Liam only blushes a bit but before he could say anything else Kyle sat down.

Before he even had a chance to realize Carter had fronted, Carter was pushing me in front for him. All I could say was I'm glad Carter had already finished the trey.

"Is it just me, or are these classed getting harder or something," Kyle asked as he waited for his boyfriend.

"I don't know about harder but there is a lot more work that it used to be," Boyd said as he sat down as well.

"It's because they are giving us more homework," Liam said blandly. "They're just now realizing that they have way too much to get through so they have to give us a lot more."

"Well they need to lay off," Kellan grumbled out. "I don't think I've ever had this much homework before in my life. Last year I think I went to school a good 50 times and that was it. I just paid the smart kids to do the work for me."

"I'm pretty sure I went even less than that," I admit. "All the teachers were just too afraid to fail me after I beat up a football player at least once a year."

"Yea I remember that," Kyle said with a small smile. "Carter got that guy good a lot the last time he came after you."

"It wasn't that," I defend.

"You set him to the hospital with a cracked skull and a concussion," Kellan said dully.

I could feel Carter cringe as he eased off the couch.

'They're fighters.' I say to try to make him feel better. 'This is a complement to them.'

Carter doesn't say anything but comes back to couch anyway.

"Well, are we ready to head to P.E," Callum asked, easily picking up on my dampened mood. I only nod with a sigh as I stood up.

As much as I didn't want to admit it, the thought of going to P.E actually made me feel a little bit better.

I followed closely behind Callum but before I could make out of the door, some dude cut in front of me. The trey in his hands bumped into me, making all the food fall to the ground.

"Dude watch where you're going," I grumbled out, trying to keep myself from exploding at him.

"Me? You're the one who spilled everything!" He yelled with a glare. Callum tensed behind me, as if he was ready to step in if needed.

"I don't even care," I mumbled out, already trying to get around him so I could just get to P.E. I could feel his anger only growing as his hand came up to land on my shoulder, his head leaning into me ear. Everything in me was trying to cringe away from him but I force myself to stay still to show that I wasn't afraid of him.

"This is for Terry," he whispered. My mind barely had enough time to recognize the name as one of the guards at the fighting ring before his knee drived into my back.

I can't help but choke down a painful groan as I turned around to face him.

Before I could do anything else about it, his fist collided with my face. I hit the floor hard just as Carter pushed himself off the couch as he pushed me back.

The last thing I could think was 'please go easy on them' as I tensely watched him. 

Last updated May 25, 2021