71

Liam's POV

You could the tenseness in the air.

Lunch was about half way over when guards pilled in; their hands hovered above their non-lethal weapon of choice while they looked around the room with a harsh glare.

"What's going on?" Ryder asked as he began a glaring contest with a random guard.

"A fight probably happened," Callum said as he glared down at the table. "They are here to make sure no one else starts one"

"They aren't going to let us leave," I point out as I nod to a guard standing in from of the door.

"What about Jax?"

"Maybe we can convince one to let us swing by on our way to P.E?"

"We can try but they don't seem to be in a very forgiving mood today," Callum said, his gaze dancing around, trying to see which guard looked the least pissed off.

"He needs to eat, surely they will let us give him something, even if we can't stay."

"I don't think they really care about that right now."

"That one," Callum said out of nowhere as he nods to one of the youngest guards here. I've actually been here longer than he has. "We have the best chance asking him."

I nod as I stand up and begin walking to him. Callum and Ryder aren't far behind. A similar smile was plastered on all of our faces as we approached the kid who was only about three years older than us.

"You three need to get back to you seats," he said before we even had a chance to say anything.

"We can't," Callum said with a kind smile. "You see, our roommate was given a personal day and we promised to bring him lunch since he can't really walk that well right now so we need to give him something before he head down to our next period."

Ryder and I only stand there as Callum speaks. Callum was always so good that charming people into doing what he wanted them to do but it didn't seem like we would be too lucky this time.

"Camp is on lockdown," the guy said with a deep frown. I couldn't help but grimace at that; something pretty big must have happened to cause that. "We are under orders from Mary. When this period ends we have to split everyone up based on what class you have next and then escort everyone where they need to go."

"What about our friend," Ryder asked, slightly offended.

"Who gave him the free day?"

"Our cabin's therapist," I supply, trying to stay cheery.

"Then I'm sure he is aware of the problem. He will bring your friend his lunch, he probably already has to be honest." He said as he looked around the room.

Several guards were glaring at us now.

"Now I really need you guys to sit back down or things are going to get ugly." From literally any other guard, that would have sounded like a threat, but from him it just sounded like a plea.

Callum still didn't look very pleased but only sighed as he gestured for us to follow him back to our table.

"You really think Andrew has everything under control," I asked when we sat back down.

"Probably not yet, but I think he will."

"You think Jax will be mad at us for ditching him," Ryder asked wearily.

"Andrew will tell him what happened," I said even though I'm not convinced of that. Regardless, I pull Ryder in closer to my side as I play with his hair, hoping to calm him down a bit more.

"I just hope he hasn't killed Patrick yet," Callum admits.

"I'm sure he's fine," I say with more confidence. "Jax is a pretty level headed person when he's with people he doesn't know. He'll be fine."

Jax's POV

"I swear to actual fucking god I will shove your head in the god damn toilet," I threaten Patrick with a harsh glare but he only laughs as he lazily speed walked around the cabin, knowing damn well I couldn't run.

"What does god have to do with it?" He joked as he flipped through the small binder I used as a sketchbook.

"Give it back," I demanded as I leaned up against the wall as spots began forming in my vision.

"But you said I could look at it," he said with a fake pout as he continued flipping thought the pages.

It was true but I was nearly half asleep when asked and it hadn't full registered what he had asked until after a good ten minutes when he commented on how decent they were.

I stay quiet from my place on the wall making Patrick look up at me with concern.

"You alright there?"

"Probably."

"Probably?"

"I mean, I'm probably not going to pass out so that's good," I say jokingly, making Patrick rush over to me.

"Sit back down," he said as he guided me back down to the bed, the binder still in his hand.

As I sat my hand slowly inched to the binder until I was able to snatch it from his hands.

"You little faker!" He accused with a smile. I couldn't help the small smirk that appeared on my face as I shoved the binder under my pillow.

"You really should have seen that coming," I play along, trying to get the attention off the fact that I really did almost pass out right then.

Patrick only scoffed as he got up and went back to Ryder's bed.

"They really are quite good though," he said after a while of nothing but the TV noise filling the room.

"They really aren't but thanks I guess."

"I think you should try the art class."

"I swear, if one more person tells me to join the stupid art class, I'm throwing paint in their face." Patrick only chuckled at my poor attempt at a threat.

"Maybe you should listen to everyone. I think it would be good for you."

"You think it would be good for me to sit in a room with a few other kids while some weird teacher come around and judged how well I drew the theme they gave us? Yea, I won't be doing that."

"Has anyone ever told you that you are extremely stubborn?" He asked with a small chuckle. My mind instantly went to Liam before I could block him from my mind.

"Only a few times."

Patrick hums before the door opens, revealing my cabin mates. I have to keep myself from looking too happy when they file in and take their normal places.

"I will take that as my cue to head out," Patrick said with a smile. A part of me felt a sad when he neared the door. "I won't be a stranger this time," he promised as he shut the door behind him.

He says that now but I make a mental bet with myself that I wouldn't hear from him again until something the next thing went horribly wrong.

I wait for any of them to bring up that they ditched me at lunch but no one does. I wait for one of them to join me on the bed, no one does. I wait for any of them to acknowledge that I was here, none of them do.

They all just pile up on Liam's bed and start their homework like I'm not even there.

My hands play with each other as I try to keep my mind from going into worse case scenarios but it's too late.

My chest already feels hollow and thoughts are already coursing through my mind.  

Last updated April 13, 2021