46

Liam's POV

I was on my way back the cabin when I heard the news.

It was enough to make my knees start to shake and my heart to race faster than it was before.

"Did you see that fighter kid beat the shit out of those guys," I happen to hear.

"No I didn't get to see it, I was in a session. I hear they are still at it though. I was planning to stop by the snack bar then head over there." His friend asked but my mind was already spinning.

It wasn't until that moment that I realized all the yelling coming from the basketball court.

Without thinking I ran in hopes I would be able to pull Jax off of someone but realistically I knew that if Jax was in his head there was nothing I would be able to do about other than watch it happen.

When I got there and finally managed to squeeze through the insane amount of people, my heart leaped for a second before beating properly again.

Jax ran around the court with a ball in his hand. People around him practically made a path for him at this point, seemingly just wanting to be done with the game for the day. One look at the scoreboard could easily tell you why. Jax's team was winning, by a lot.

After effortlessly sinking one more shot the game was called and all at once Jax's team tackled him to the ground.

I had expected for this to be the moment where he flipped out but he simply pushed everyone off him as he made his way to the cooler filled with water.

This was the first full breath of air I've had sense I walked into Andrew's office.

I'm just about to let Jax have his fun and head back to the cabin when he notices me.

He breaks off from his team without saying a word to any of them. His classic fuck off face was plastered on his face while his badass attitude spawned out of nowhere.

For a second I'm afraid he can read my expression and body language better than I thought and that he immediately knew what I had done.

I expect him to start yelling at me or maybe just going a head and starting a real fight by just punching me in the face, but he doesn't.

"How was the session?" He asks as he begins walking in the direction of the cabin while also wiping his face off with his shirt that was for some reason not on his body.

"It was good," I say, trying to remember all my training. Stay calm, I tell myself as I repeat the mantra I was taught many years ago, breath, keep your hands at your side. If you don't believe you're telling the truth how do you expect them do?

"Cool," was all he said in return as he brushed his hair back, making it stick up straight.

"How was the game?" I asked, trying to get the attention off of me again. "I saw that you guys won again."

"It's not that hard to win when the guys you are playing with play about as good as Callum." I couldn't help but laugh at that. 

"You seemed to be having fun though. Are you going to play with them again?"

He only shrugs but I can tell there's something he's not telling me.

If I had to say one thing about Jax, it's that he is a damn good liar as long as you don't know nearly anything about him.

"It makes your nervous doesn't it?" I ask in a whisper but I know he heard me by the way he sighed and looked down at his feet before stopping entirety.

"Do you have to by my personal therapist all the time?" He asked he wiped his face again before picking up his pace. "I imagine it has to be exhausting for you and it's insanely annoying for me."

"We'll that depends, am I right?"

"Why would it make me nervous?" Aggravation seeped heavily into his voice, letting me know that I only had one shot at my answer before he declared this conversation over.

"It reminds you of fighting again and it makes your mind fuzzy, which makes you afraid that you are going to lash out and hurt people."

Rather than blow up at me like I expected he says nothing but his body language changes yet again.

His shoulders drop that takes a good few inches off his height while his eyes focus on the ground rather than scanning everything around him.

"Why can't we ever just have a normal conversation? Just for once I'd like you to just ask 'hey Jax how was your day' without having a follow up question," he says before stopping again and staring at me. His eyes say that his angry but he looks more disappointed. "Is that too much to ask?"

For a while we don't say anything until Jax starts walking again, his pace nearly at a jog.

"How was your day?" I asked when I caught up to him. I asked in a voice that was so quietly that for a second I think he didn't hear me

"It was good." He grumbles back.

"I saw you play a bit. You looked pretty good out there."

A pit in my stomach dropped when I saw a smirk come onto his face and I realize what I had just said to him.

"And what part of me exactly, looked so good while I was playing?" He asked in a teasing voice as he slipped his shirt over his head and put it back on.

Deciding that teasing was a two way street, I went along with it. I wanted to see what it took to make him blush.

"Definitely biceps, every time you shot the ball I think at least three girls passed out." Jax's smirk faltered for a second, clearly not expecting me to go down this route. "Or maybe it was you abs, anytime you jumped you flexed your abs. You have a nice six pack by the way."

His neck became red but his cheeks stayed at their normal shade.

"I'm glad you enjoyed the show." Jax said before winking and opening the cabin door.

For a second, things between us were normal but soon after a groan of annoyance left his throat.

I peak around him to see Ryder and Callum making out on Callum's bed.

Not a session that just started either; they had been going at this for a while.

Callum sat on top of Ryder with a hand in his pant while Ryder just laid there in a daze; he probably didn't even know where he was at right now.

This was about to be an interesting next few minutes.

Last updated: January 20, 2021