64

Jax's POV

"We need to see Mary," Callum said to the lady who was working at the front desk. Her eyes never left the computer screen as she told us to knock on the office door before going in.

The fidget toy in my hand didn't stop moving as we got closer to Mary's office. I had almost left it at the cabin to keep my coldness but Liam quickly pointed out that it wouldn't be a good idea. Now that we are here I very much agree with him.

Callum slipped his hand into mine while Liam knocked on the door. Less than a minute later, Mary opened the door with a smile on her face.

"Hey Callum, Liam, Jax, what brings you by so late," she asked as she ushered us into her office and closed to door behind her.

To my surprise, Patrick sat in a small office chair behind her desk. He had a smile that matched Mary's when his eyes met mine. I couldn't help but feel a little sick when he looked at Callum's hands and mine. Every part of me wanted to pull my hand away but I couldn't bring myself to do it knowing what was about to happen.

"We have a problem," Callum says with a kind smile but a glare in his eyes.

"What kind of problem," Patrick asked, his smile instantly dropping to a frown as concern filled his eyes.

"Abbott needs to leave," Liam said, as if he was telling her what was about to happen instead of suggesting it.

"The English teacher?" Patrick clarified as he looked at me, making me realize I hadn't said anything since we left the cabin. "Isn't she the one who started that fight a while ago?"

"Has she done something else?" Mary asked with concern that surprisingly seemed genuine.

"Not yet, but she will eventually and I don't think any of us are ready for what will happen when she does."

Mary frowned and looked over to Patrick.

"We can't do anything without proof," Patrick said sadly.

"You're seriously saying you can't fire someone?" I finally say, making Mary's eyes move over to me.

"Not when we don't have a replacement teacher," she said with a frown. "And even if we did, if we fire Abbott the terms of her parole are compromised. She could risk going back to jail."

"Maybe she belongs in jail," I said rudely with a glare.

"I know you two had that disagreement but just because you don't like her doesn't mean I can be so cruel as to fire her for a reason like that."

"She groped him in a classroom in between first and second," Liam said with a glare of his own. "I'd say that's a bit more than a disagreement and plenty of a reason to fire her."

"I thought you said we didn't have any witnesses?" Patrick asked Mary as he got out of his chair.

"I was told we didn't," she said as she stared at Liam. "Why didn't you tell anyone?"

"I told like 15 of the guards that day, all of them just told me to fuck off and then dragged me back to my cabin." Patrick frowned even more at that as he looked back at me.

"Did any of them even asked you what happened," he asked as he came closer.

"No, they just threw me in Andrew's office and told him to figure it out." A scowl fell onto Patrick's face as he mumbled a curse.

"I'm going to fucking kill them," he grumbled before looking back up at me. "I assumed they had already questioned you when I came to talk to you the next morning. I'm sorry that I didn't think to ask."