78

Liam's POV

"What do you mean Jax can't do Town Day," Ryder all but yelled.

It was finally Friday. The sun wasn't even out yet but everyone was already getting dressed for the day. Up until about five minutes ago, excitement filled the air in our cabin but that feeling was gone now.

A knock had put a damper on things when we opened the door and saw Andrew standing there with a sad look on his face. Callum seemed to immediately know what he was about to say but the rest of us were clueless.

"Unfortunately Jax doesn't meet the criteria to be let off campus for Town Day," Andrew explained as he stared at the ground, not being able to look anywhere near Jax.

"How so," Ryder said with a scowl.

"Well you have to be violence free for five consecutive months, which Jax hasn't. You have to have Mary sigh off on any exceptions, which she hasn't. And you have to have all A's or B's, thanks to Mrs. Abbott, Jax has a C in her class."

"So we'll just tell Mary that he can come. She probably meant to give him a write off anyway and just forgot. Come on Jax," Callum said, already moving closer to the door but Jax stayed put.

"Maybe Andrew has a point," Jax mumbled out as he sat down on his bed, causing all of us to watch him with wide eyes. "Can you imagine how bad it would be if someone randomly touched me out there? It took five guards to pull me off Abbott that day, do we really think one guard and the three of you could do it if we needed to?"

"You're doing better now though. It's been almost three weeks since you last slipped," Ryder pointed out with a proud smile.

"Do we want to risk that though? Yea it's been a good three weeks but I don't want us to regret anything just for us to have a good time out there. Can you imagine the news headlines if anything happened? I'm sure the government would have this place shut down in a split second if anything happened."

I could feel myself frown even though he had a point. Callum seemed to already accept it. Ryder looked like he wanted to fight it some more but knew that wouldn't be for the best at the moment.

"Jax has a point," Andrew said barely above a whisper. "I'm glad that you are able to see things this well," he said to Jax but that only made him scowl a bit.

"Well this sucks," Ryder, said as he threw his shoe down and walked back over to his bed. "What are we going to do for the day then?"

"You're going to get ice cream," Jax said firmly. "And then you are going to the arcade, then bowling, and if there is time, to the park."

"We aren't going without you," I all but scoff as I sit beside him. He glanced over to Callum for a split second and in that second they seemed to have a full argument without even opening their mouths. I could tell Jax had won though by the way Callum sighed.

"Bring me back some ice cream," Jax said as he all but pushed me off the bed playfully.

"None of us want to go without you," Ryder pouted but Callum came to Jax's aid.

"Come on heathen, we have to make it to North Carolina by sun down, and we aren't going to do that if we are in here," he said as he put Ryder's shoe on his foot before throwing our fragile boyfriend over his shoulder.

"Callum, put me down," he protested weakly but did nothing to try to escape. Soon enough Callum and Ryder were outside the cabin, leaving just Jax and me.

"It sucks that you can't go."

"Yea but we all know it's for the best. We can still have breakfast together though," he says cheerily, making me flinch back a bit.

"We actually have a mandatory breakfast in town with Mary so she can go over all of the rules for the day." Jax tries to hind hos frown but I can still see it before he covers it up with another smile.

"I was serious about that ice cream though. Bring me back some before you come back." I have to hold back a chuckle as I lean into his side.

"What kind do you want?"

"Just a vanilla milkshake with chocolate chips."

"You are an incredibly basic person," I say as I stand up and head to the door. He playfully scoffs as he lies back down on the bed.

"Just promise me you won't stay in here all day. Go do something. Mathew and a few other guys will stay here, I'm sure will be enough people to start up a game of basketball." Jax gives me a sad smile as he tucks his hands behind his head.

"I promise I'll go do something today."

"Good, I want you to bring me a leaf when we get back."

"Why?"

"To prove that you actually went outside today."

"Fine, you bring me a milk shake and I will bring you a leaf, I promise."

I stand there for a while, just watching him and procrastinating.

"I'll see you when you get back," he promised again with a smirk, clearly telling me to leave without actually telling me to leave.

"Fine," I sigh as I open the door, just now realizing that Andrew was gone too.

"I like you a lot," he whispered as I walked out the door.

Those words gave me butterflies while my chest felt like it was on fire.

I can't help but peak my head back in for just a second. Our eyes meet, his are filled with anxiety until he sees mine.

"I like you a lot too," I say with a smirk before closing the door behind me.

Last updated April 22, 2021