33 - Chunnin exams (pt. 5 Poor Gaara)

Shinigami's pov

Today is the day. It's the last phase of the chunnin exams. I explained everything to Naruto and he seemed to understand. I would wake him up but he should get as much sleep as he can. I'll just leave and see him at the last phase. I left him some food on the counter. I went to where the last phase would be held and sat next to Shizuka, Momoku, Kiba, and Hinata. We talked as we waited for the phase to start. I saw Naruto run into the middle of the ring with rest of the contestants (except of Sasuke of course). More people we knew ended up sitting with us, including Rock Lee. I was able to talk to him and properly thank him. I think that we'll become great friends.

As the first round started I was paying close attention. This was Naruto fighting Neji. It was better to watch fights in person then across a screen. I was worried for Naruto even though I knew he would win. When Naruto got Kuramas chakra to help him I smiled. No one knew what was really going on. That reminded me, I haven't spoken to Onmyodo in awhile now. I'll speak to her after this whole situation is over. I looked and saw Neji walk to Naruto. There was a lot of dust covering him. When the dust cleared it showed him on the ground, "unconscious".

"Well, that sucks for Naruto." I heard Kiba say. "Just wait for it." I said smirking. Kiba and Hinata looked at me confused but then saw Naruto poof into smoke, showing that he was only a shadow clone. Before Neji could do anything Naruto came from under the ground and gave Neji an uppercut making him the winner of this round. After Neji was sent to the infirmary, Hinata's father left to go see him.

The next round was supposed to be Gaara and Sasuke but it was postponed since Sasuke wasn't here. 'I'll be back." Shizuka said to me with sign language as she stood up. I nodded and watched her walk away.

Shikamaru was up against Temari. I gotta say, this round was interesting. Shikamaru did a pretty good job at strategizing but his laziness got in the way. He ended up forfeiting at the end since he was almost out of chakra and didn't want to have to keep planning like that, which I don't blame him for. Temari was the winner by forfeit.

Shino and Kankuro was up next but Kankuro forfeited right away making Shino the immediate winner. Gaara and Sasuke was next but since Sasuke still wasn't here they gave him 20 minutes. If the 20 minutes was over before he came then Gaara would be the immediate winner. I saw Hinata cough a bit and looked at her worriedly. Kiba went to take her to a medic to see if she was alright. That's when I saw the Anbu stop them and have Kiba follow him.

I sighed and began talking to Momoku. We were waiting for Sasuke to show up. At the last minute Sasuke and Kakashi appeared. They had an unnecessary and extra entrance. I saw Naruto jump down from where the contestants were at and go to Sasuke and Kakashi. They talked for a bit before Naruto went back up using the stairs and Kakashi went to us. "Are you always late?" I asked him. He shrugged and I saw Gaara walk out into the field. I sighed.

Not too long ago Naruto and Shikamaru came to us to inform Kakashi that Gaara killed someone in the stair way in fear that he'd end up killing Sasuke in their match. Naruto gave me a worried look and I shook my head before looking down at the fight. Sasuke was firing up a Chidori as he was on the wall. Sasuke ran towards Gaara's defense and ended up breaking through it. As he did spikes were sent at him but he was able to break through Gaara's defense. He fell backwards and Gaara screamed.

My eyes widened as he did. I covered my ears and closed my eyes. It's a lot worse then I thought it would be. I kept ky eyes closed until I started to feel slightly drowsy. I opened my eyes to see the Genjutsu start. I put my hand one of my hands into a rat hand sign. "Release!" I said and the feathers around me didn't affect me. I saw Kakashi, Guy sensei, Sakura, and Momoku do the same. I saw Sasuke go after Gaara. My guess is Gaara started the stage of turning into Shukaku. Kakashi told us to wake up Naruto and Shikamaru. He gave us pakkun to help us.