62. Chase

Time was sneaking up on him. It was drawing closer and closer to the moment when he would have to say his good bye.

As he stayed wrapped around Amelia, one hand holding her hip, the other braced on the door for support, his head buried inside her hair, he felt utterly helpless to the wash of emotions that was passing over him. He felt his heart squeeze painfully when he imagined the moment when she would no longer be at his side. How was he going to do this?

In a moment of weakness, he asked to her to stay, not to go. He knew that he was being unreasonable, but he had to ask. He needed to say those words. In all the movies and all the books, the girls sometimes changed their minds when the guy asked them to say. He wished that it could be this way for him and Lia. He wished it with all the love he felt for her.

"Chase," said uncertainly.

He already knew what her answer was going to be even before she said it. She couldn't stay. Her life was waiting for her. He was an unexpected event in her life. She hadn't planned on meeting him. How could she leave everything and stay with him? How could he even ask her? He felt like a jerk. God, he was sorry.

"I know baby, I know. You can't stay."

"I really wish I could," she echoed.

"I'm sorry I asked, but I had to. I hope you can understand."

"Oh Chase, I do understand."

He hugged her tighter to his body. She felt really good in his arms.

"I just feel like I'm making a huge mistake letting you go without me."

"I promise you're not," she said in a  pleading tone.

Hours later when they had showered and laid side by side, he watched her while she slept. She was exhausted and as soon as her head hit the pillow, she was out. She had a busy day tomorrow. She should rest. Plus he liked watching her.

He, on the other hand, couldn't turn off his mind. It was racing at full speed showing him every possible way he could loose her. Some of these scenarios were based on some kind of fact and the others were just utterly ridiculous. For instance, the one where the plane crashes and he never saw her again. The only one that could be true, was where she realized that she rushed into this thing with him, and decided that she had made a wrong choice.

This was the one that bothered him the most. It was the one that was the most plausible. He could see her coming to this decision. She was a careful girl. He knew that about her. They way they started off with a bang was not typical in her life. She was someone who over analyzes before making a move. He hadn't allowed her the time to analyze anything. He wanted her and he just jumped in, taking her with him.

He knew when she resumed her normal routine, that the time they spend here would all seem like a dream. Almost like something she saw on TV and not something that she actually lived through. Distance makes it easy to forgot. He knew this. Distance and time were capable of erasing many memories, whether good or bad.

He couldn't loose her. Who was he without her? Who was he before her? What would give him the will to continue if he didn't have her to love. He didn't know. All he knew at the moment was that he didn't want to be the broken, miserable pessimist that walked onto this island three days ago. He remembered how he felt lost and without a purpose. He only came because of Derek. And although he was being supportive of his brother's happiness, deep down inside he was jealous that his one opportunity at that same happiness was cruelly snatched away.

His life was a recurring mess ever since Robin. He knew that for a fact. It was a daily fight to appear normal. Most people didn't know how much he struggled. He was a man of little words. He didn't talk about his feelings. He was always one to figure things out on his own.

He was at the point where he was ok with being alone for the rest of his life. It troubled him, but did he have any choice in the matter? He just couldn't love the same way again. As a matter of fact, he felt like he spent too much time chasing love and he wasn't getting anywhere. It was elusive and danced just outside his grasp. Sometimes he questioned if it was really what he wanted.

Well all that was up until he met Lia. She was like that lone ray of sunshine on a rainy day, a sliver of hope in a sea of despair. She quite literally breathed life into his miserable being. For the first time in forever, he felt excited to be in the presence of another human. He felt such joy when he was able to make her laugh. The sound of her laughter was music to his ears and the brightness of her smile had the strength to make his heart pump with the will to live. He felt like a new person when she touched him. She made him feel whole in a way that he never felt before. She was his other half, the part of him that was missing, she completed him.

He took a deep breath. How was he going to do this? He needed some kind of strategy before he lost his mind. But what? What reassurance did he have?

She did say she loved him. She also said that he wasn't going to loose her. But was she really in control of those decisions? He knew life. Sometimes such matters were beyond your control. You lost everything even though it wasn't what you intended. 

How he wished he could see into his future and know for sure that Amelia would be there. He wanted everything with her. She was the one he needed all his life. She was the one he'd been waiting for. Nobody ever made him feel this madly in love.

He dragged her close to his body. She made a contended sound and snuggled in. She was warm and her body was nestled perfectly against him. He signed and closed his eyes to images of a future with her. Maybe if he willed it, it would happen. What was it that everyone said? You have to project positive thoughts to manifest positivity in your life. That's what he would do, he would project and hope for the best. 

There wasn't anything else that he could do.

Hi All, 

Was this chapter boring? Please be honest.

Please vote and comment. Thank you for your support.

xoxo- M.A