Chapter 4 Treasures and empathy

A week later and you were back to your happy mood, you still hadn't explained yourself to Professor Snape about what happened that night, but he hadn't asked either. So you both continued with your lifes.

"Class dismissed." said the Potions Master once the bell rang, you all gathered your things and most students ran out of the room "What's your next class (y/n)?" Celestia asked you. You looked at your timetable and said "Care of Magical Creatures." she smiled at you "Me too! Let's go before we are late." She took your hand and practically dragged you out of the classroom, but you didn't leave before saying "Goodbye, Professor Snape."

If you had stayed longer, you would have seen his small, almost microscopic smile at your kind words, something he's got accustomed to hear every time he sees you.

Severus' P.O.V.

As Miss Warren and Miss (l/n) exited my classroom, I turned around and walked to my desk to start grading some papers. I started to write something down on the piece of parchment of one of the dunderheads I have to teach but my mind trailed off to (y/n). I tried to shake the thought of the sweet girl out of my head but knowing that I'd never be able to completely do that, I dropped my quill on the little ink bottle and rested back in my chair.

Seeing the amount of papers I have to grade, I stood up from my seat and walked out of the classroom, deciding to take a walk as I do not have more classes to teach for the day.

As I was walking near the Black Lake, a shiny thing in the distance caught my eye, approaching the source of light, I saw a beautiful medallion on the dirty ground. It was covered in mud but I could still see that it was a very precious piece of jewellery. I opened the medallion and inside, there was a moving picture of (y/n) with, what looked like, her parents.

'So here is where she was yesterday' I thought to myself as I put the locket in my pocket and started to walk back towards the castle.

As I was heading to my classroom, I heard some giggling in a nearby corridor, I picked around and saw (y/n) and her friend laughing about something. "Come on, (y/n)! You need to teach me the patronus charm." said Celestia ''Fine, but let's go to the Room of Requirement." she said. Her friend squealed in excitement and started to walk really fast to another corridor, (y/n) following close behind. "Wait...Celesty." She started to pant before she stopped walking and leaned on a wall. Her friend came back to her and said something to her in a much lower voice than before so I wasn't able to hear. I saw (y/n) shake her head and then the two of them started to walk the other way and disappeared in another corner.

I frown a bit at (y/n)'s sudden exhaustion, if I recall correctly, she's never felt like that before. With the thought still on my mind, I entered my classroom and sat down on my chair with a sigh. I pulled (y/n)'s locket out of my pocket and started to clean the dirt from it with a cloth I found on my desk. I'll give it to her when she comes for her lessons after dinner.

END OF P.O.V.

After dinner was over, you headed down to the cold dungeons for your daily lessons. At the last set of stairs, you felt exhausted but you didn't pay attention to it as you thought that you were just tired. Catching your breath after a couple of seconds, you continued your path and knocked softly on the door. You heard the usual 'come in' and opened the door.

You saw Professor Snape sitting in his usual spot, behind his desk, grading papers. "Good "Evening, Professor." you said "Evening." he simply stated. You stood in the middle of the room, awkwardly, the only sound that could be heard was Severus' quill against the paper, until you asked "So...what are you going to teach me today?" you said eagerly. He sighed, putting his quill in the ink bottle, he locked eyes with you and said. "I'm not going to teach you anything today Miss (l/n)." your face fell a bit, knowing that he was probably going to dismiss you, seeing the amount of papers he had to grade.

As if he read your thoughts, he continued "I want to give you something I found earlier today." you frown a bit as he searched for something in his pocket. You walked closer to his desk and saw that he was holding your locket. Your face enlightened when you saw the precious item. You took it from his hands, and with a smile on your face, you said. "Thank you! I thought I'd lost it. Where did you find it?" The Potions Master stared at you for a couple of seconds before saying "Near the Black Lake. I assumed you left it there that day." you just nodded at him, knowing fully that he was talking about the day he found you crying.

You sighed and said, in a low voice "That day I went to say goodbye to my parents. They were killed a year ago by some death eater. They were Aurors, you know? It was their job to bring those people to Azkaban but they got out numbered." your eyes started to fill with tears "Their bodies were never found but some witnesses said that the killing curse was fired on them." Silence filled the room. "I didn't get to say goodbye and I...couldn't mourn them properly as when the news got to me, Celesty had lost her brother so I needed to be there for her."

Severus stared at you for a long moment, his dark eyes showing some kind of sympathy as he has grown to care about you. You then took a deep breath and swallowed your tears, not wanting to cry in front of him again. "Thank you. For giving it back." you said in such a soft voice, full of gratitude and innocence that it made Severus happy on the inside.

"Do you mind if I stay here? I'm not in the mood to go back to my common room right now." you asked politely "It's okay, you can stay here as long as you let me work in silence." You smiled softly at him and walked to one of the seats in the very front of the classroom. Putting your bag by your side, you took out your notebook and continued writing your novel, as now you had a new chapter to write.

...

As both of you were so engrossed with your own activities, time went by flying. Suddenly, the clock chimed, making you jump slightly from your seat. "You should get back to your dormitory. It 's late." said Professor Snape. You looked up at him and saw him standing from his chair behind the desk. You started to pack your things in your bag but left your notebook and quill out. "I'll walk you back to your common room so you won't get caught by Filch, Miss (l/n)." he said to you.

Nodding at him, you swung your bag over your shoulder and took your notebook and quill and started to write some lines down while walking out of the classroom. You walked out of the door with the Potions Master behind you. You kept writing down in your notebook, with your eyes focused on the last paragraph you wrote, you didn't notice that you were walking to a set of large stairs. Suddenly, you felt a large hand on your shoulder, turning you around and directing you in the right direction to go "What are you writing?" asked Professor Snape with his hand still on your shoulder to keep you from falling. "A novel." you replied shortly.

"About what?" without glancing up at him, you said "It's a love story.Between two passionate souls that love each other but they can't be together."

"Why is that?" he asked and you said, still staring down at the notebook "Because of some...circumstances.'' he didn't say another word during your way back to your dormitory, and you were grateful for that because, what would you say if he asked more questions? The story is, basically, about him.

After walking for about five minutes, you two arrived at the portrait that leads to the Ravenclaw common room. "Thanks for walking me back, Professor. I really wouldn't like to get caught by Filch." you said, lifting your (e/c) eyes from your notebook for the first time in the journey back to your dorm. Severus just nodded at you and with a flick of his long cloak, he disappeared in the long corridor. You stayed there, glued to your spot as you watched him walk away in such a dramatic way. Sighing, you muttered the password and entered the common room, going directly to your dorm. Just wanting to lay in bed as today was a tiring day.