Chapter 4: Visiting the Past

Start from the beginning

“It’s alright, I guess.” Lavander said. Charleston smiled and led them inside, the lobby looked classier than the outside, red everywhere, with a touch of black which made it more elegant. The floors were covered with a huge red carpet, while the walls were filled with murals of dragons and castles which looked very medieval. There was a grand piano by the canteen where an old man played the tunes of Mozart while a small group of people watched in amazement.

A bellhop who did not look like Charleston led them to their room; it was the last room of the second floor which might probably be the biggest room in the hotel. The bellhop opened the doors and brought in all of their luggage inside, he placed them neatly by the bed in the other side of the room then left.

“Sorry guys but I guess it’s a bit small for us.” Charleston thought a huge presidential suite was small. There were two queen beds with too much amount of pillow were placed parallel together by the far end of the room. The kitchen was as huge with marble counter tops and fire free stove complete with a huge refrigerator and a set of chips by the pantry.

“Eat up guys, those are free.” Charleston said.

The living room as you may say has a baby grand Piano at the center where a chandelier was placed on top of it and a huge window/door, bigger that the ones in ordinary suites, showed the magnificent view of the busy lights of the city, it led to the balcony. Lavander thought that this was definitely too much for them.

“Wow, how did this happen?” Lavander asked Charleston, the others went exploring the room, Sal took some Cheetos from the pantry and went to the sofa to watch some TV. Devin immediately dived in the bed to get some rest.

“My mom’s dad is a rich owner of hotels in town, he gave this one to our family upon marrying my dad and it has been the family’s legacy ever since.” Charleston said, he sat down with Sal by the sofa and took some Cheetos.

“How about those other Charleston’s?” Lavander asked, she sat down with them, Sal offered his bag of Cheetos but Lavander declined.  

“What about them?” Charleston eyes were fixed in the action movie Sal got on.

“Don’t your other employees notice it?” Lavander said.

“No they don’t, those guys are temporary replacements, and they’ve been here for a couple of hours or so.” Charleston said to Lavander and smiled, “Trevor, don’t touch that you might break it.” Charleston said and left to go and get Trevor who was playing with the fire-free stove by the kitchen.

Lavander was left with Sal for company, “Hey,” she said, Sal smiled then nodded.

“You don’t talk much don’t you?” Lavander said noticing that he hadn’t said a lot since they met.

Sal smiled once more and laughed a little, “I don’t even know what to say.” Sal said, he took his bag of Cheetos and disposed of it in the table once he’s done with it.

“Wait here,” Lavander said, she went to her bag which was placed by the bed next to Devin’s stuff, and took out the group picture of the elder knights and went back to the sofa.

“Who is your parent in here?” Lavander showed the group picture to Sal, he examined each faces and gave it back to Lavander.

“I don’t know, I never did grow up with my parents.” Sal breathed in deeply, “I grew up with my grandma in a farm just outside the city.” Sal stood up and smiled at Lavander, “I’m going to take a shower,” he said, for a moment Lavander felt a guilt feeling, she didn’t intend to remind Sal that he didn’t grew up with his parents.

Lavander turned the TV off and went to the balcony, she stood there grabbing some fresh air, she looked at the picture again and folded it in half so it would fit in her pocket, she just stared at the starry night and the beautiful city lights, she imagined what her life would be if she wasn’t a purple.