080

I fold the shirt in my hands, placing it on top of the pile. Stupid laundry. It used to be so much easier when I only had to do my clothes but now I have to do three loads. I should only wash mine and Eli's just to see how long it'd take for Spencer to realize he's running out of clean clothes.

Speaking of Spencer, he should get better at answering his phone. What if I was dying? He'd never know. To be fair, he is working. I'm just very impatient. I readjust the phone between my ear and shoulder, listening to the repetitive ringing before his voice comes through.

"Hi, baby."

I can't help but smile when I hear Spencer's voice, happy to be able to finally talk to him. "Hey, how's the case going?"

"I feel like we're getting close with the profile. These past days have been busy."

I frown, folding another one of his shirts. "Have you gotten any real sleep?"

"Not really. I'm onto my third cup of coffee today."

I glance over at my mug of coffee sitting on top of the washer. "Wow, I'm only on my first. You're winning."

"First time I've ever won at something." He says in a joking tone, but I have a feeling he's serious. "How's little peanut doing?"

"He's doing good, missing you of course. I finally got him down for his nap about an hour ago so I'm enjoying the quiet." I grab the basket of folded clothes and make my way to the bedroom. "Ever since you got him that toy for Christmas, all I hear is the rattling noise."

"At least he's happy."

"He's happy but I'm not. For a whole month, he's been shaking it in his hand. I'm debating 'accidentally' throwing it in the trash."

"That's mean."

"I'm glad he's happy but I beg of you, please find him something else to be attached to. A blanket perhaps?"

"I'll stop somewhere before I come home. Do you want me to pick up dinner too?"

"Actually I was thinking of cooking something. Rossi taught me a new dish that I want to try out."

"As long as you don't burn the house down, that sounds amazing."

"Okay, awesome. Just text me whenever you're on the jet home." I smile to myself, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. "Be safe, okay? I'll see you soon."

"I will be. I love you both."

"We love you too. Bye Spence."

I end the call and fall onto my back, staring up at the ceiling. It's always so different around here when he's not home, but knowing he'll be home soon is what keeps me sane.

//

I dance around the kitchen, shuffling my feet while I cook the pasta. I slide across the floor in my socks, stirring the sauce before it burns. I pout when some sauce gets on my shirt, quickly wiping it off.

Technically it's one of Spencer's old shirts but what's his is mine. Plus I do his laundry anyways so it's going to get cleaned at some point. I'll just change before he gets home. He'll never know.

I dip my finger in the sauce, bringing it into my mouth to try it. The drop of a bag is heard behind me and I slowly turn around, knowing I've been caught.