075

My feet hit the pavement at an even pace, my ponytail swaying back and forth. The roads were plowed this morning so I took the advantage of no snow to go on a jog after work, pushing Eli's stroller in front of me.

I let music blast in one ear, leaving the other ear free so I can hear around me. I stop when I hit the corner of the street, moving in front to check on Eli. I lift the hood of the stroller a bit, seeing his tiny, sleeping form. I fix the blanket around him, making sure he's warm enough.

He's only just a baby but he looks so much like his dad. That means a mini Spencer is going to be running around soon enough. Oh no.

I feel the vibration of my phone in my pocket, pulling it out. Perfect timing.

"Hey." I say breathlessly.

"Where are you? Is Eli with you?"

I stand up from my crouched position, my eyebrows furrowing in confusion from his worried tone. "I'm just down the block. I took Eli with me on a jog."

He sighs in relief. I can just picture him rubbing the back of his neck as he sighs, his eyes closed. Something he does often.

"What's wrong?"

"I came home to both of you gone and you didn't tell me you were leaving so I got worried."

"Spence we're perfectly fine, I promise." I assure him. "I'm on my way back now. It's starting to get dark."

"Did you forget that it gets darker earlier in the winter?"

"Yes actually I did." I laugh, starting to push the stroller back in the direction of the house.

"It's because the Northern Hemisphere is pointing away from the sun so it reduces the hours of sunshine."

"Maybe I should've paid attention in science class."

"Yeah, no wonder you chose to teach English." He laughs.

He has a point. I was only ever good at English growing up and I'm pretty sure science and math were my worst subjects. Of course Spencer was great at everything, I'm kind of jealous of that.

It's silent on the phone for a few, only his breaths being heard. "Babe?"

"Mhm?"

"Are we just going to breathe to each other through the phone?"

He lets out a short, breathy laugh. "I just want to make sure you both make it home okay."

A smile makes it's way onto my face, his words adding a warmth over me. "This is reminding me of when we used to facetime and eat lunch together so we wouldn't miss a day."

"But we're not facetiming."

I roll my eyes. "I know that, I mean us communicating over the phone. We're always with each other now and the only times we talk over the phone are when you're working. But never calls this long."

"That's because I like talking to you in person. Over the phone I don't get to....see you."

"I have a pretty great face, don't I?" I joke.

"Not just great. Beautiful."

I feel butterflies in my stomach. No matter what he says, he always makes me feel this way. A feeling that's hard to explain but not at the same time.

I start to approach the house, seeing his figure sitting on the porch steps. "That vest looks very form fitting on you Doctor Reid. Is it new?"