061

My body jolts awake when I hear a loud knocking, my eyes searching around in the darkness. I look over at Spencer passed out next to me, his arms wrapped loosely around the pillow under his head as soft snores leave his lips.

The knocking continues and I get up, a yawn escaping me. I quickly check on Eli to make sure he's still asleep before making my way downstairs. I unlock the door, opening it mid knock. Jamie's standing there, wet from the rain with mascara running down her face and her fist in the air from knocking.

"We broke up." She cries.

I quickly pull her inside, kicking the door shut as I pull her into my arms. She grips me tightly, her body shaking in my arms as she cries. I ignore the soreness of my body, hugging her to me.

"Come with me." I whisper, pulling away and taking her hand.

I bring her to the living room, sitting her down on the couch. She sits there quietly, the crying suddenly stopping.

"I'm going to grab you some dry clothes to change into but I'll be right back okay?"

She nods and I go as fast I can upstairs, grabbing her a sweatshirt and sweatpants. I accidentally close the drawer too loudly, freezing in my place. Please don't wake up, please don't wake up-

Eli starts crying and I slap a hand over my face, letting out a groan. I go over to the bed and kick Spencer, his soul leaving his body as he sits up, his eyes wide from being startled.

"Take care of the baby please." I tell him, watching as he goes to rub his tired eyes.

"What?" He mumbles.

I go over to the bassinet, carefully picking up our crying son and handing him off to Spencer. Spencer looks at me dazed and confused but holds him anyways.

"Thank you." I smile, kissing his cheek and heading back downstairs.

Jamie was still sitting in the same spot but this time she was crying again, looking over at me with teary eyes.

"He's awake because of me, isn't he?" She cries "God, I'm just ruining everything. I'm sorry."

I place the clothes on the coffee table, sitting down next to her. "No, I was the one who woke him up, you don't have to be sorry."

She leans into me, placing her head in the crook of my neck. I wrap an arm around her, my hand rubbing her arm comfortingly. I wait for her to calm down again before I have her change into the clothes. She walks out from the bathroom, the hood over her head as she tries to shield herself from everything around her. She collapses onto the couch, placing her head on my lap.

"I need you to tell me that everything will be okay and that I'll get her back because even though I know it's not true, it's still nice to hear."

I run my hand up and down her back slowly, trying to comfort her in any way I can. "Everything will be okay and you will get her back." I tell her, letting her hear exactly what she wants.

"I don't know what to do Valerie." She sobs, and I feel my heart break for her. "She's the love of my life. Other than you, Emily's the only person who understands me. She knows that you're the only form of family I have left in my life. She knows all my fears and deep secrets. She knows the little things about me that most people don't, like how I can't sleep without having something to hold. She knows I'm a hopeless romantic even though I hate to show that side of me to others. And she knows I don't want to have kids but that's the last thing she'll ever know because now she's gone."

I hold back my tears, knowing that if I start crying, she'll feel bad for making me sad and cry even more. I never expected to be woken up at one in the morning to hear about my two best friends breaking up.