063

"Val can you paint my face for me?" Spencer asks from the bathroom.

"Yeah give me a second!" I respond, finishing up with my other braid.

I walk to the bathroom, Spencer sitting on the lid of the toilet as he waits for me. "What do you need me to do?"

He points to the paints sitting on the counter. "Make me look like a scarecrow."

I look hesitantly at the paints and then back to Spencer. "Out of the two of us, I'm pretty sure you're the more artistic one."

"That's very true." He smiles. "But I like watching you get all concentrated."

I feel the warmth spread to my cheeks, a smile taking over my face. "You're a real charmer, aren't you Doctor Reid?"

He happily nods and I grab the brush, dipping it in the paint. I grab his jaw gently, aiming his face in the direction I need it.

Spencer's very excited for tonight since it's Eli's first Halloween. But because he's still only a newborn, there weren't many costume options for him so Spencer decided that we'd dress up as Wizard of Oz characters. I'm Dorothy, Spencer's the scarecrow, and Eli somehow ended up as Toto. I didn't even try to argue with him since he's the one who controls Halloween.

It doesn't take long for me to finish my masterpiece, the paint brush being set down. "All done."

Spencer gets up and looks in the mirror, his smile widening. "I look so stupid."

I suck in a sharp breath through my teeth. "Yeah I uh- definitely tried my best."

Spencer turns around, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling my towards him. "No, you did good. Thank you."

"You're very welcome."

He finishes getting ready while I go over to Eli to get him dressed. I grab his costume and hang it on the edge of the bassinet, reaching my hands out to pick him up.

"Hi little peanut." I coo, holding him against my chest. "Please don't make a fuss when I put this on you."

I get him changed and almost cry at how tiny he looks. He looks up at me with eyes identical to mine, his mouth slightly open as he lets out small noises. The longer I stare at him the more I see Spencer in him.

"Ready to go?" Spencer asks, adjusting his outfit.

I pick up Eli and turn to Spencer with a wide smile. "Our son is quite the looker already."

"I still agree with him looking like a raisin." Spencer says, fixing the buttons on his costume.

"That was mostly a joke." I laugh, laying Eli back down. "Here let me."

I walk over to him and undo some of the buttons, fixing them so they're aligned. I run my hands down his torso to smooth everything out when Spencer suddenly shifts, his jaw tensing. His eyes meet mine and I squint up at him.

"Spencer."

"Mhm?" He hums, looking as if he just got caught.

I undo the buttons and pull the material to the side, revealing a dark bruise covering a good portion of his side.

"Oh my god." I gasp, my eyes widening. "Spencer what the hell is this?"

Spencer pushes my hands away gently, covering it back up. "It's a bruise."

I let out a laugh in disbelief. "Wow I didn't know that. Care to explain how you got that bruise?"

"There may have been a bat involved when they jumped me."