The Desert

Zira searched the horizon for any sign or clue to where Appa had gone. But the strong winds mixed with the loose sand made it almost impossible to see. 

" How could you let them take Appa? Why didn't you stop them?!" Aang yelled at Toph over the bellowing wind. 

"I couldn't! The library was sinking! You guys were still inside and-" 

"You could've come to get us! I could have saved him!" 

"I can hardly feel any vibrations out here. The sandbenders snuck up on me and there wasn't time for-" 

" You just didn't care! You never liked Appa! You wanted him gone!" Aang screamed at her as Katara and Zira rushed over to them. 

"Aang, stop it." Zira said, placing a hand on Aang's shoulder "You know Toph did all she could" 

" She saved our lives" Katara added 

"Who's going to save our lives now? We'll never make it out of here" Sokka cut in 

"That's all any of you guys care about: yourselves!" Aang yelled 

"Aang, that's not-" 

"You don't care whether Appa is okay or not!" Aang continued yelling, cutting Zira off 

"We're all concerned, but we can't afford to be fighting now," Katara said as Aang sulked 

"I'm going after Appa." He declared, opening his glider 

"Aang wait!" Zira cried, but the airbender was already flying away. 

"We better start walking. We're the only people who know about the solar eclipse" Katara said, placing a hand on Zira's shoulder as she watched Aang disappear. 

"You're right" Zira sighed, looking down at the sand " We have to get that information to Ba Sing Se" 

"You think if we dig out the giant owl, he'll give us a ride?" Sokka asked as they began their long walk out of the desert. 

*

Shai sighed as he, Zuko and Iroh rode the ostrich horse through a valley and Iroh was making pained noises. 

"Maybe we should make camp" Zuko suggested 

"No, please, don't stop for me!" Iroh let out more exaggerated groans forcing Zuko to finally pull the ostrich horse to a stop. 

The trio got off and Iroh sat down on a rock, holding his injured shoulder. The ostrich horse perked up, pricking its ears, detecting something unusual. 

"What now?" Iroh groaned in annoyance as the two boys took defensive stances. 

The Rough Rhinos suddenly jumped out of the foliage and surrounded the trio. Zuko and Shai kept their defences up but Iroh just smiled and stood from his seat. 

" Colonel Mongke! What a pleasant surprise!" He beamed

"If you're surprised we're here then the Dragon of the West has lost a few steps, "Mongke emphasized his remarks by making sparks with his bracers as his men readied their weapons.

"You know these guys?" Shai whispered 

"Sure. Colonel Mongke and the Rough Rhinos are legendary. Each one is a different kind of weapon specialist. They are also a very capable singing group" 

"We're not here to give a concert. We're here to apprehend fugitives!" Mongke held his arms up, preparing to firebend 

"Would you like some tea first? I'd love some. How about you, Kachi? I make you as a jasmine man. Am I right?" Iroh smirked at one of the warriors.