The Siege Of The North Part 2

Zira clung onto Zuko tightly as he carried her on his back through the heavy snow. She buried her face in his shoulder to stop the harsh wind from hitting her face. She glanced up slightly at Aang who was being carried by Shai beside them. He was still in the spirit world, his tattoos glowing white. 

The ice under Zuko's foot suddenly cracked! 

The ice quickly began breaking and the boys rushed to escape being plunged into the freezing water. 

The impact of the caving snow threw the boys off balance. 

They were launched several feet and landed roughly in the snow, dropping the two kids. 

Shai rushed to Zira's side. 

"Are you hurt?" He asked over the bellowing wind. 

"I'm okay. Just cold" She shivered. Her nose and cheeks were red from the bitter weather. 

She'd left her coat back in the oasis, not having the chance to grab it as Zuko pulled her away. 

"Shai!" Zuko called out, pointing to a cave in the distance " Shelter!" 

Shai carried Zira on his back as Zuko pulled Aang by his shirt collar to the cave. Once inside, Zuko tied Aang's hands behind his back with a rope while Shai attempted to keep Zira warm, sitting against the wall. 

 Zuko sighed exhausted, leaning against the wall as well when he finished tying Aang's hands. 

It was silent for a moment as Zira glanced out at the raging blizzard

"... You're gonna take us back to the Fire Nation, aren't you?" 

"As soon as this storm passes" Shai sighed, holding her close to try and warm her up. 

He knew he couldn't let her go back, but Zuko was determined to return Zira to the Fire Nation. 

Zuko sighed, getting up to stand by the cave entrance. 

"I finally have you, but I can't get you home because of this blizzard. There's always something" He muttered, he glanced at Zira over his shoulder. 

"Not that you would understand. You're like Azula. Everything always came easy to you two" 

"I'd hardly say things were easy" Zira murmured, but Zuko either didn't hear her or chose to ignore her as he continued with his rant. 

"She's a firebending prodigy, and everyone adores her. Father says she was born lucky. He says I was lucky to be born" Zuko turned back to the blizzard  "I don't need luck, though. I don't want it. I've always had to struggle and fight and that's made me strong. It's made me who I am" 

Zira was silent for a moment, thinking over something. before she sighed. 

"Zuzu...I'm sorry... But I'm not going back" She said, looking down at her feet. 

"What? Of course, you are, just as soon as we get out of here" Zuko turned around to face her. 

"No, you're not listening" Zira looked up at him with tears in her eyes

"I don't want to go back"

"What are you talking about?" 

Zira glanced up at Shai beside her and he nodded reassuringly. 

"Did you ever wonder why I was so persistent to join you 2 years ago?" Zira asked 

"Because you wanted to see the world" Zuko replied, coming back into the cave, sitting across from his sister.