| NINE |

The black vines in his eyes were moving like an air current through the wind, making it impossible from me to look away from him.

I saw him tense his jaw, as he also stared back down at me. I could feel my magic stirring in my chest, and I wasn't sure if it was trying to protect me, or if it was responding to my rapidly beating heart.

"I'm never going to hurt you, Verity. You are my partner" Taehyung said quietly, but his voice didn't snap me out of anything, it was so smooth and I could listen to him talk all day.

"Is this... part of your allure? As a Vampire?" I wondered.

Taehyung creased his eyebrows together, as he leant back from me every so slightly.

"What do you mean? I'm not doing anything" he breathed out.

I pursed my lips, "you are pulling me in"

This time, Taehyung took a quick step back, his hand leaving my back, "I wasn't pulling you in Verity, you wouldn't even remember it if I was"

I rose an eyebrow. I wasn't sure what else to say.

Taehyung's demeanour changed, he did look taken back by what I said, but within a second it's like another emotion washed over his face. He took the step back towards me, making my chest tighten again.

"Does it make you uncomfortable me being this close?" He asked, voice deep.

His hand went back around to rest on my back again, for seeing me pulling away again. But this time, I didn't.

"No" I muttered back, truthfully. I wasn't uncomfortable, it was just fighting with my natural instincts to move away from something that I knew would hunt me for my blood.

His eyes were back swirling those tiny black vines again, and as he took a deep breath in, parting his lips, I saw his extended canines.

"Why are your teeth extended?" I wondered, looking at them.

His tongue darted out to push at one of them, and as he saw me watching that action, his lips turned into a small smile, looking down at me with that normal intense stare.

"You don't want to know the answer" he muttered, tilting his chin forward as he looked down at me.

"I wouldn't of asked, if I didn't" I breathed out.

That made Taehyung grin at me, a boxy one that made me smile back at him.

But then I froze, I felt the cold shiver run down my spine as Taehyung leant forward, his hand traveled up my back, and cupped at the back of my neck. And as I watched his eyes gaze down to my neck, my magic almost shot out of my hands, freezing his touch on me.

"Calm down" Taehyung breathed out slowly, his voice was very deep.

Then he leant forward, his head brushing past my cheek, as I felt his black fluffy hair go across my nose.

His head stayed close to the side of my neck, as his other hand came around and touched my waist, making my breathing hitch up a few gears.

As he spoke, I felt his lips touch the skin in between my shoulder and neck, "I've never smelt anything like you before, and it's addictive"

My mind was completely blank.

But in this moment, I realised that I did trust him as much as I could do at present. I was in such a vulnerable position, and I wouldn't be able to stop in time if he did choose to put his teeth into me, but the difference was I knew he wouldn't do that.

Then another thought crossed my mind, should we even be playing with fire like this? I don't know what his plan was here, but making my heart beat out of my chest, surely wasn't it.