| ONE |

"Does this ever feel like a prison to you?" I asked my best friend, who was in the bed opposite me.

She glanced over to me, as I watched the fire swirling around her fingers. Alice shook her wrist, leaving a ball of smoke evaporating around her hand as the fire seeped back into her skin, leaving a burnt orange trail before that also gradually went away.

"It beats being back at the shelter" she breathed out, offering me a small smile.

"We haven't been there in years" I muttered, looking back outside the window beside me, at the lake in front of the Institution.

"I don't mind it here. We are treated like adults, rather than children" Alice said, leaning up in bed.

"Yeah, adults who aren't allowed to leave these grounds" I mumbled.

It seemed like I was the only curious one, out of the twelve people that were here. The youngest was sixteen, and the eldest was me, at nineteen. We were told at twenty, we would be allowed to leave this place. It was my birthday in a weeks time, and I was counting down the days.

Freedom was never an option to have, Alice and I were picked up by the founders of this Institute three years ago, from the shelter we had been at, for the whole of our lives. It seemed like we went from one prison, to the other, and I had absolutely no idea why.

Granted, we were orphans with nowhere to go, but I didn't like the fact that it was taken away from me.

With a sigh, I leant over and opened the window, and I heard Alice grumble at herself, I turned and gave her a grin before pushing the window shut slightly behind me as I stood on the slated roof.

I grunted as I landed on the grass, and stood up and shook off the small ache in my ankle from the impact. I started walking in the direction of the forest to the left of the very large building, staying in the shadows. As I got into the thick of the tall trees, I flexed my fingers, and a shimmering ball of light appeared in my eye line in front of me.

The only comfort I had, that was something I could truly control, was my magic.

I found the tree that I had been sitting against, for years, and settled in front of the stream. There was something so comforting, just hearing the water flowing by.

We were advised against exploring our magical core on our own, while I was grateful for this place teaching me about my capabilities, when we were practising, I always felt like I was being watched.

Being watched, rather than taught. The teachers couldn't do anything for me anymore, and they all knew that. I had caught the Air and Fire masters, talking about me in whispered voices in multiple occasions, and that filled my stomach with a strange sense of dread.

I didn't need to use my magic, to bond with it. I could close my eyes, and bask in the chamber inside of me, feeling the strength that flooded me.

As I opened my eyes a handful of minutes later, I saw the veins in my hands, travelling up to my fingers tips, illuminating a pure white. I smiled, and traced the veins

I felt the tug inside of me, and I looked over at the stream. I couldn't help but chuckle lightly at myself, as I pulled a large pool of water out of it, and held it in the air with my mind, pulling it apart into smaller circles.

While having full control of two elements, wasn't that unusual, having anymore than that, was considered to be special.

And that was the exact reasons onto why I had not told even one person, my secret.

Fairies with multiple control of the elements, could never lead a normal life.

When Alice and I arrived here three years ago, there was a boy here that had been here for a while before us. I could sense that he was a Multi Fairy, even before I observed what elements he could control. And out of the four elements, he could control three.