4 | Small Problem

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

3rd Person's Pov

"Pastor Nick is dead"

Hange and the others just arrived at the Cabin where the rest of the Levi Squad live in the mean time. They just came back from the Trost's Barracks where Pastor Nick was staying. 

She continued, "He's been murdered. This morning, in the Trost District Barracks."

flashback

Hange stared at the now dead body of Pastor Nick. He seemed to be brutally murdered. 

"Hey! Don't sully the crime scene, you dumb Corpsman! Stay right where you are" One of the Interior Police Commanded.

The other guy joined in and said, "This our job, not yours! Another victim of armed robbery and assault. These types of crimes have been on the rise."

They were saying it as if it was normal. 

"That's absurd! Look, his nails were torn off!" 

Hange's shirt was then grabbed by one of the Interior Police. He then jeered, "Which unit are you in?"

Moblit grabbed his wrist and revealed, "Fourth Squad Leader Hange Zoe and Executive Officer Moblit Berner"

"Your ranks are meaningless coming from the trash that is the Survey Corps. Look. It wasn't a Titan that killed this man. This was murder, plain and simple. It's not your place to intervene." The dude scoffed

"First Interior Squad? What is a Squad from the capital doing all the way here in Trost?" Hange questioned 

"What's so strange about that? Unlike you useless layabouts, we Military Police have a lot of work to do." He grumbled

"Oh, how could I forget? It must be because I'm so worthless. Meeting such illustrious soldiers in person is an honor! Please let me shake your hand!" Hange exclaimed

She continued, "But to see poor Nick robbed like this... It's such a pity. Did he have anything that was worth stealing in the first place?"

"Of course. Who doesn't know that the Church's holy objects are made of precious Iron?" He said

"So Nick was a Pastor for the Church of the Walls?" Hange lied 

The two Interior Police looked at her wide eyed, "Huh? What fresh nonsense is this?"

"He and I were friends for a long time! But I was under the impression the he was a mere chair maker. It's even written right in his application."

"Will you stop--"

"Well I guess this means I just never knew old Nick as well as I thought I did."

"Hey! Let go!"

Hange let go of his hand, "Oh, I'm sorry! I wasn't thinking!" 

She saluted, "I wish you luck with the investigation. And I'd like you to convey a message to the culprit for me. I'm sure you feel that the things you did to him were righteous and just. But I don't have a shred of sympathy for that line of thought. I will personally see to it that you are tortured alive, like Nick was, so that you might suffer the same fate you brought upon my dear friend! Yes, you'll be sorry! Please tell the criminal that. We'll take our leave now."

The two Scouts walked down the hall, away from the two other Interior Police. 

Moblit whispered loud enough for Hange to hear, "Squad Leader, do you really think they..."

"Without a doubt. First Interior Squad, Djel Sannes... The skin on his knuckles were split wide open. Nick was tortured by the Interior Military Police and then murdered."

flashback end

Hange continued,"I knew the Church would have it in for Nick after he agreed to help us. That's why I put him up in the Barracks with a fake identity. I never expected them to send soldiers to execute him. I was too careless. It's entirely my fault."

There was a moment of silence but Armin spoke up, "Did the Military Police torture Pastor Nick just to find out what he told us?" 

Levi answered, "Most Likely. But it was also the Interior Military Police, so there must be more to it. So how many of Nick's nails were torn off?" 

"Huh?"

"You saw, right? How many" Levi asked Hange

"I only caught a glimpse of him, but from what I could tell, it was all of them." Hange responded

"People will either spill the beans after one, or hold out no matter how many nails you pull. To be honest, I didn't think much of Pastor Nick. But he stood by his beliefs all the way to the end. That means they probably have no idea that we've learned about the Reiss Family. But now we also know that someone is watching us from on high, and not for friendly reasons."

After Levi said that, Nifa entered the room in a hurry.

"Captain Levi. There's word from Commander Erwin. I meant to tell him about Pastor Nick, but he sent me right back with this." Nifa explained

Suddenly, Levi commanded, "Everyone out. We're not safe here. Leave no trace of our presence."

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Author's Note

First long chapter in a while i guess